Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago my odometer bulb went out so I have been driving without that, then when I used my right turn signal the odometer bulb flashed a few times and then went out, and now all the exterior lights but the headlamps and breaklights are not working.

I have no tail lights, no running lights, no blinkers, and no odometer light. The hazards do nothing.

Fuse #10 was blown and the replacement immediately blew as well.

I have a volt meter but I am not very experience with it and I have a hard time figuring out where I need to check for continuity

· Registered
126 Posts
Hi Mangybum,

I have a 1997 (5th gen) Prelude with the same problem. My odometer, tail lights, and running lights are out. My hazards/right/left turn, brake, and headlights do work. This video:
shows what cable might be the problem. I looked at my and it looked fine. I did have my 1 year old pretend play that he was driving and he would move all the stuff around the steering wheel including the turn signal combination switch. So I might explore replacing this item first if I find a cheap one for sale.

Another item I need to check is the Driver's Multiplex Control Unit. What I noticed on mine is if my door is not fully open I can't lock my doors using the driver side lock switch. There may be a short in the cables by the door causing this issue.

Someone asked a question on this link (Dash Lights Marker Lights and Tail Lights Not Working) and the person provided images to the wiring schematic for this car. This could be useful if you think you have a short. Keep me updated to see if you find a solution. I will let you know how my attempt to fix this goes.

I did have to stop driving my Prelude at night since I have no taillights working. I do occasionally drive it only during daytime.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mangybum,

I have a 1997 (5th gen) Prelude with the same problem. My odometer, tail lights, and running lights are out. My hazards/right/left turn, brake, and headlights do work. This video:
shows what cable might be the problem. I looked at my and it looked fine. I did have my 1 year old pretend play that he was driving and he would move all the stuff around the steering wheel including the turn signal combination switch. So I might explore replacing this item first if I find a cheap one for sale.

Another item I need to check is the Driver's Multiplex Control Unit. What I noticed on mine is if my door is not fully open I can't lock my doors using the driver side lock switch. There may be a short in the cables by the door causing this issue.

Someone asked a question on this link (Dash Lights Marker Lights and Tail Lights Not Working) and the person provided images to the wiring schematic for this car. This could be useful if you think you have a short. Keep me updated to see if you find a solution. I will let you know how my attempt to fix this goes.

I did have to stop driving my Prelude at night since I have no taillights working. I do occasionally drive it only during daytime.
Hey thanks for the reply I will be looking into that!

I've been using a USB LED strip that I have set to Red as a makeshift tail light for the time being, I have it propped up on my back seat so it can be seen through the glass, but obviously its not ideal.

By the way I think what you mentioned about the door not locking is an intended safety feature that prevents the door from being locked from the driver side while the key is in the ignition and the door is open. I would imagine its to prevent you, (or a child) from locking the doors accidentally while you are outside the car for whatever reason

· Registered
126 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply I will be looking into that!

I've been using a USB LED strip that I have set to Red as a makeshift tail light for the time being, I have it propped up on my back seat so it can be seen through the glass, but obviously its not ideal.

By the way I think what you mentioned about the door not locking is an intended safety feature that prevents the door from being locked from the driver side while the key is in the ignition and the door is open. I would imagine its to prevent you, (or a child) from locking the doors accidentally while you are outside the car for whatever reason
I don't think so because back then I was able to open the driver side door by putting the key on the passenger side and it would unlock both doors. Now it doesn't even do that. When the driver door is closed the driver side locking switch doesn't open or close the passenger door. But when I fully open the door I can unlock/lock the passenger door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts