Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my engine diagnosed today, and here are my options because I need new rings.

1) New rings, and general maintenance on both head and bottom end. Price around $1200, good running car, no performance gains

2) Complete rebuild on bottom end with new rods, JE pistons... Price around 2k, no head work though

3) JDM H22 with H23 tranny. Price $2500. Low milage engine, better gains

4) Dump the car in TJ, and get a settlement

Based upon my choices, I am leaning towards the H22. I am kinda bummed because I really wanted to build the H23 with cams..etc, but the cost doesn't seem worth it. I will also have to wait on installing my RSR, too. Does anyone else have any options for me?

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
Yeah, it is only $1200 for the LB but you need to add shipping, tool rental, and general parts for the swap.

I did the same thing (H22 and reuse the H23 tranny) and my total bill came to around $2550

That said, I think that would prolly be your best bet. I wouldn't pour too much money into the H23. It just isn't going to be able to be as reliable and powerful as the H22. Also, you can prolly make some money back off the H23. I sold mine (granted it was running fine) for around $850. If not it would make a good project to mess around with.

My $0.02

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
call me up bill, one of these days i will unbolt your exhaust and bolt on your new one. i will need to go buy jack stands, but that isn't a problem since i need them anyway.

·
C.O.D.
3,542 Posts
Zimmlude said:

That said, I think that would prolly be your best bet. I wouldn't pour too much money into the H23. It just isn't going to be able to be as reliable and powerful as the H22.
How is a H22 more reliable than a H23? You could have a H22 with 15,000 miles on it, but if the owner beats the sh*t out of it and goes into VTEC from every start in every gear, it wouldn't last longer than a well maintained 150,000 mile H23.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An H22 would be more reliable in my case because it will have 40k on it rather than 150k on my H23. Even with a build up, there is only so much an engine can hanlde.

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
What I am saying is, in order to get the same performance out of both engines you must sacrifice reliability in the H23. Stock for stock they are both very reliable but you have that ugly 30 to 40 hp difference to deal with. Messing around with a 150K mile old engine isn't going to be worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
What did you expect the problem to be with your car eating oil?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't expect the amount of work involved in trying to rebuild the bottom end. With JE pistons, I have to bore and sleeve the bottom end...etc, and I haven't even messed with the head. I could easily be over 3k, and it isn't worth it for a 150k H23

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just realized that I have one more option. I may take the $2500, and buy a daily driver. Then I can save up the cash, and do my Lude right.

·
Mercedes = Kraut Crap
1,990 Posts
friends with anyone at your local Honda dealer? If you can buddy up with a tech, or propose what you're doing, he may offer his assistance on a saturday afternoon for some sort of compensation (from beer to $$) ... although I don't know how it works when both people aren't affiliated with the dealer --> a porter at the dealer where my dad works dropped a JDM B16 in his civic, with the help of a technician on saturday after normal work hours were done, and in that day they pulled the old one, dropped in the new one, and had him driving home happily. Worth a thought, if anything. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a buddy that is a Honda god. To this date, he owns the unofficial record for fastest ZC engine. He ran a 12.2 with it, and he built the engine and turbo himself.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, he does. The problem is that he is soooooo slow and a pain to get a hold of. I guess if I have a daily then I could have him help me.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
willmbrk said:
I didn't expect the amount of work involved in trying to rebuild the bottom end. With JE pistons, I have to bore and sleeve the bottom end...etc, and I haven't even messed with the head. I could easily be over 3k, and it isn't worth it for a 150k H23
It actually isn't that expensive to rebuild the bottom. Just don't use turbo sleeves when you sleeve the engine. If you're not going forced induction, there's really no reason to pay such high prices for sleeves. Just use iron replacement sleeves. LA manufactures some that are pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to buy a little civic beater hatchback for a daily, and then save up the cash to do my engine the right way. I think my best option is to go with an H22 with LSD tranny. I will have a better potential for hp and better handling with the LSD.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
i didn't read all the post so sorry if this was already said.. i know that somebody mentioned the f22b.. and i think that is one of the most economical ways out of your situation.. i don't knwo fi you are goign to be doing this work yourself but it really isn't too bad.. swapping in the f22b that is.. a couple things that peopel don't tell you..

you will need to switch out some parts unless you get teh engien harness and ecu...

teh f22b doesn't come with a knock sensor and the h23 does.. so you have two choices.. tap and dye the knock onto the f22b or get the harness and ecu from the f22b

the head doesn't come with an engine coolant temperature sensor.. so that needs to be swapped from teh h23 onto the f22b

also when doing maintainance work like timing belt and water pump.. different parts are used that the dealer sometimes won't know..

there may be soem other things that i may have left out.. all in all i think you'll be spending under 1200 for your engine to be swapped out and replaced with the f22b if you let an outside shop do the work

if you got any questions about goign this route or re-building teh h23.. i've done the swap and in teh middle of the rebuild ..

my aim is tenzola

=)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
As far as reliability....a completely rebuilt H23 will never get any trust from me. ANY time you crack open a motor, I dont care if god puts it back together, its still been opened up and they never seem to last as long. I'd take a JDM H22 over a rebuilt H23 any day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts