Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should i get first, an intake, header or exhaust? just wondering.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CyberCivicSi:
hey i have question aboot grizzlies. there seems to be a couple mating behind the pine tree and they keep me up all night. what should i do. :D</font>

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know if you're being serious, but regarless, I'd say intake first.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Save your money and take out the resonator and put in a K&N. Its cheaper and you get the same beautiful induction melody.

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Trying to sell my 17" SSR's

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grnlude97:
I don't know if you're being serious, but regarless, I'd say intake first.</font>
yep, i'm serious. just too used to using the
smiley...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
Originally posted by grnlude97:
I don't know if you're being serious, but regarless, I'd say intake first.</font>
yep, i'm serious. just too used to using the
smiley...
If he is serious then I am serious when I ask if I should paint my stock side skirts or not?

------------------

Pearl White
00'SS

·
Registered
261 Posts
You want to work your way from the back. You need to get a exuast first. If you get an intake or header then all the extra air that your taking in wont be able to get out because the exuast will be restrictive. So pretty much your mods should be. ..e/h/throttle body/intake. This is actually the rule of thumb that my uncle has always said. But really the gains will be so insignificant that it wont matter.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Do intake and exhaust at the same time??

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just take out the resonator and buy a new exhaust...this way u get both at the same time...I don't think getting CAI will be that much different compare to just removing the resonator..That's what I did anyway

I am not going to bother to spend $200 just to get 2 or 3 more extra power

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dka:
do a search
newbies..
</font>
you're callin oO00Oo a newbie? Anyway, I would recommend exhaust and intake at the same time since intakes are so cheap
I bought a red aem cai from carparts for only 150 with the coupon

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
Another reason why I'd recommend the header last out of I/H/E is due to the minimal performance gains offered by other headers such as DC, neuspeed, etc...The primaries on those headers are barely larger than stock, so if you want significant gains from a header, go custom or mugen. Of course, if you plan to go all out, I'd recommend Hi-tech over Mugen any day of the week. The aem cai is probably the best buy at around $165 after shipping. If you don't have a drill bit to enlarge the intake hole, you can always bend the sheet metal down with pliars

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VA Ludin:
You want to work your way from the back. You need to get a exuast first. If you get an intake or header then all the extra air that your taking in wont be able to get out because the exuast will be restrictive. So pretty much your mods should be. ..e/h/throttle body/intake. This is actually the rule of thumb that my uncle has always said. But really the gains will be so insignificant that it wont matter.</font>
What exactly do you do the the throttle body? Get a Spoon one? Or bore your stock one?

I've had the K&N setup w/ the resonator removed, now I have an AEM CAI. The pull and sound on the AEM is ALOT more noticable. I guess the K&N setup is fine if money is tight..

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd say go with exhaust first, low end gains, then get intake, high end gains. But think about where you are headed, because if you are going turbo, headers will just be a waste of money since you will have to get turbo exhaust manifold.

------------------
Jeffrey
1998 Honda Prelude
FMAX Turbo Kit

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 98TurboLude:
I'd say go with exhaust first, low end gains, then get intake, high end gains. But think about where you are headed, because if you are going turbo, headers will just be a waste of money since you will have to get turbo exhaust manifold.

</font>
He's right. And if you're going for the supercharger, stick with the Kamikaze.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

</font>
are you saying an exhaust gives you low end gains?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VA Ludin:
You want to work your way from the back. You need to get a exuast first. If you get an intake or header then all the extra air that your taking in wont be able to get out because the exuast will be restrictive. So pretty much your mods should be. ..e/h/throttle body/intake. This is actually the rule of thumb that my uncle has always said. But really the gains will be so insignificant that it wont matter.</font>

the stock prelude exhaust isn't as bad as people think it is.

porting the throttle body is pretty much useless unless you are pushing pushing real high hp numbers that are making it a bottleneck. it also has to port matched to the intake manifold when it's bored, so it's not exactly a simple mod.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
everything i've heard is that exhausts hurt your low end... less backpressure.

seriously, does anyone have some before and afters of I/H/E? particularly H/E. the AEM CAI seems proven to give a couple ponies up top at the expense of a couple down low. seems like headers and exhausts on stock 5th gens just don't do a hell of a lot. i kinda thought most people got exhausts cause they like the way they sound & look.

</font>

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
The entire Prelude breathing system is worked out pretty well. Changing a single one of these won't help out much. Since the intake is matched to the header which is matched to the exhaust.

If you look at the dynos you'll see that say someone with a GReddy exhaust picks up say (random #'s) 4 hp, and then picks up another 8 hp with a DAC intake. But with the DAC alone they only pick up 3 hp.

First I would get an intake, if only for the fact that it requires the least amount of labor to install and is the cheapest. Then exhaust, and then headers since no one really has a good header out for the G5 anyway.

This is especially because you said my car was loud. =) And I have an AEM, and the Mugen exhaust on it. One of the most quiet exhausts.. hehe. Though the AEM is only loud though about the 3.5k-5k RPM range then the engine takes over.

~Doug

1 - 20 of 29 Posts