Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've toyed around with a WRX before, but I never found an all out race. That changed last night. :D

I saw what looked like a stock WRX sedan on the highway late at night and I ran up alongside him and got him to race. We started out somewhere around 70. I was in 3rd, buzzing around 6200rpms. I pulled on him decently through the end of 3rd and he was at my back bumper when I shifted to 4th. He made ground through 4th gear and managed to pull so my front bumper was at his front door. We stayed that way until 5th and we were pretty even until I think he hit his speed limiter and I shot past him. We were coming up on traffic anyway so I backed out. It was a good 70-135 race. :D

Postscript. I had not reset my damn ECU in a while so I bet it had "detuned" my mods. Drag racers say that resetting your ECU can give you as much as .5 seconds in the 1/4. If that is true, then I definitely would have smoked him badly if I had reset my ECU.

·
Registered
482 Posts
how do you like you hi flow cat? did you notice any difference?

you should put a ram air to your short ram.. it makes a difference

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my cat the same time I had my pulleys installed so I don't know how much to attribute to it vs the pulleys. Even with the pulleys it didn't feel that much faster.

I've been meaning to route some cold air to my SR for a while, but never got around to it. If AEM ever comes out with the V2 intake for the bb6, I will probably just go that route.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
dchung u should ask everyone how thier hi-flow cat is on every post,thats what the pm is for;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Fast&furiuslude said:
dchung u should ask everyone how thier hi-flow cat is on every post,thats what the pm is for;)
:laugh: i noticed that too..

but seriously..i don't think resetting ur ecu would allow u to "smoke" him...i doubt if it would even allow to beat him if he was a good driver..

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean, I did beat him. There is no skill involved in a 70-135mph race. You simply drop a gear or two and floor it. Skill mainly comes into play with launching from a stop. We were neck and neck the whole way trading the lead depending on what gear we were in till he hit his speed limiter. The drag racers have timeslips to prove that resetting your ECU can drop you almost 1/2 a second in the 1/4 mile. I'm not saying I would have killed him, but 1/2 a second translates to something like one to two car lengths at that speed and that's a pretty good smoking considering WRX owners think they are the sh*t.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i desperately want a WRX race....

·
6,152 Posts
oh and when ur ECU detunes your mods does that mean more or less fuel mileage?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should get better mileage with detuned mods because the ECU cuts back on the fuel and air it will allow in the engine. I have never really measured it, but I know that I do get better mileage when I don't reset my ECU.

You have got to find a WRX to race, Mugen. Just make sure it isn't modded and make sure you start from a roll. We can beat them from a roll and they can't stand it because they swear they are the sh*t.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Have any of you driven a rex? They are DAYAM fun to drive...

J

·
6,152 Posts
i know we can beat them from a roll....i just want to race one...i had a chance but my dad was in the car and he didnt want to catch a heart attack(hes scared of VTEC...lol)

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I test drove one and the salesman made me turn around b/c I was dogging it so bad. So when he made me do the u-turn, I floored it through the turn too. Man AWD is fun!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
jnkoh said:
I test drove one and the salesman made me turn around b/c I was dogging it so bad. So when he made me do the u-turn, I floored it through the turn too. Man AWD is fun!
:laugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts