Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am running 225 tires on my stock 92si rims right now, so how wide of a 17 inch rim would accomodate 225's so it fits perfectly instead of being bigger than the rim, 17x7.5?

·
Registered
104 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vpforeva:
i am running 225 tires on my stock 92si rims right now, so how wide of a 17 inch rim would accomodate 225's so it fits perfectly instead of being bigger than the rim, 17x7.5?</font>
It depends on the design of the tire, and the aspect ratio (40, 45, 50). For example, if you're using Toyo RA-1's (assume they have that size), you'd best stick with the rim width they use for testing (since the RA-1's are race tires and have a stiffer sidewall). On the other hand, use regular street tires and you have more leeway. Best thing to do is pick the tire and use the measuring rim width.

·
Registered
309 Posts
vpforeva, try using this equation.

overall diameter = rim diameter + 2 * sidewall height
= (rim size) * 25.4 + 2 * (tire width * aspect ratio)

The units are in mm.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmmmm, so what am i supose to do with that equation *scratches head, =P

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what you meant when you said "perfect" size, but I guess what I'd try to do is upsize it and match the diameter of your stock wheels/tires with the diameter of your aftermarket wheels tires. Therefore you won't offset your tach/speedo. It's best to come as close to stock size as possible. A 1-3% difference is acceptible. Over 3% is not. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nonono you guys are getting me wrong, i am asking about the width of the tires, not how big they are, im using 225's right now and they are wider than my stock rims so it looks like its sticking out you know? so how wide of a rim would i need to accomodate the tires are thats wide as 225 so it looks normal

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ok, though I'm no expert, I believe it all adds up and you can still use the equation I posted.

For example, take my wheels: 215/40/18. I could probably use 225 tires if they were super low profile 225/30/18 tires. So if you add to the tire width, subtract from the sidewall height, or vice versa. Then use the equation to verify that the size is not too much off from stock size.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ya, people seem to be making this a bit over complicated.

I had an MR2 with 225's on the back and 215's on the front, they were both on 7.5" rims. They both fit well on the 7.5" rim, but the 225 fit the best. Another suggestion would be to call the tire manufacture and ask what wheel width they suggest -if you want an absolute, 100% guaranteed correct answer.

------------------
OOkie
2000pearlWHITEbase

Cripes! Another white 5th gen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts