Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i have a question its a really dumb question but i just got my car and its 5 speed and i really don't know how to drive stick shift everyone in here is so intelligent so if someone could just inform this no brainer on how exactly to shift it whould be greatly appreciated thank you

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,081 Posts
Uhh - well to be perfectly honest it isn't as simple as putting it into words. The first thing I would do if it was a new lude is park the car until you know how to shift properly. Then I would find someone who knew how to shift or go to a driving school (they have courses that will teach you PROPERLY). A quick summary is, clutch in, shift to first, feather clutch at the same time add a bit of gas, slowly release clutch and add gas. Now you're in 1st. Accelerate, gas off, clutch in, shift to second, clutch out, gas - repeat.

·
Registered
456 Posts
also, you will feel the clutch basicly grabbing a hold on the engine when you let the clutch out.
To avoid stalling, you need to give it enough gas since you're starting from a stop.
Accelerate until around 4000 rpm at first, and then shift.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
nm, i can't get the link to post right

[This message has been edited by po0p (edited April 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i push the clutch to the floor start the car move the shift into 1st then i slowly let out the clutch at the same time i give it gas to 4000 rpms then i fully let out the clutch and i will begin going then when i get 3,500 i step on the clutch to the floor let fully off the gas pull the shift all the way into second let up the clutch and give it gas at the same time is this correct? please correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brandnewluder:
ok so i push the clutch to the floor start the car move the shift into 1st then i slowly let out the clutch at the same time i give it gas to 4000 rpms then i fully let out the clutch and i will begin going then when i get 3,500 i step on the clutch to the floor let fully off the gas pull the shift all the way into second let up the clutch and give it gas at the same time is this correct? please correct me if im wrong</font>
you don't want to let out your clutch at 4k off a start if you don't plan on burning up the clutch a little. The starting rpms will vary all the time but just don't take it past 2500 when you don't need to(like on a steep steep incline). Aaron meant that you accelerate in first gear UP to 4k and then shift; you'll be at around 20mph there into second gear.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
if youre a nerd like me and need documentation, then try these:

http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/notebook/shifting/

http://www.ehow.com/eHow/eHow/0%2C1053%2C3234%2C00.html?st=ask&cr=text

http://www.learn2.com/06/0689/068910.asp

when i learned (2 months ago) i basically sat down alone in my car, studied these documents, and then forced myself to learn regardless of the embarrassment i'd face on the road hehe.

goto a huge parking lot at night and do it.

i had a friend take the car out and i told him to leave me alone with it for an hour hehe.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Here's how I was taught:

Take the car or any manual car to a parking lot. Stick the car in first gear with the clutch in, and then slowly slowly slowly release the clutch until you feel the car start inching forward and the engine rpm's dip. Leave the clutch at that point (letting it out anymore will stall the car (don't touch the accelerator, by the way)). That's the engagement point.

Stick the clutch back in and keep on practicing until you get a feel for where the engagement point is. At that point, let the clutch out to the engagement point, and then give it a little gas... learn how the accelerator and the clutch interact. Eventually you'll get the hang of starting without stalling, and then you can drive around with a bit more confidence. Knowing where the engagement point is key, though.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
WHATEVER HAPPENS:

when somthing doesnt feel right in any way and ur bouncing and stalling all over the place, slam ur foot on the clutch... not jsut the brake...

its VERY common for a newbie to only slam on the brakes naturally and forget about the use of the clutch. that wont be good depending on what u did...

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 22, 2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts