Honda Prelude Online banner

How to get a scractch out?

2K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Ng Luder 
#1 ·
i just put a damn scratch in my car. its all the way down to the bare metal. its not that thick but its pretty bad. about the width of a coin. how can i take this out the best?

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

See less See more
#4 ·
well its on a real noticable part like the back of the door . u know where it opens right after that on the rear quarter panel. its pretty bad. i am just wondering if there is anything. painting it is pretty bad i think like 100 bucks just for them to buff it out a little

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

#5 ·
well even if i wax and buff it how will paint get onto there. well i just put some touch up paint on there now and imma bbout to go and buff it and wax it right after then i would put some more touch up on it. i wonder how the people do it at the shops

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#7 ·
well i mean its not very big just a little scratch u know how it looks if someone took a key to it. so its deep but not that bad as in long and wide

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#8 ·
yea, if u see metal, wax/buffing would do NOTHING.

"fill in the crevest with touch up paint. dont attempt to cover it up. just FILL THE GAP. takes a very long time and alot of small layers, each done daily or every other our. slot of precision is needed to make sure paint is not anywhere else but in between the scratch to fill up the gap.

THEN once filled to a decent level with the rest of the surface, surfacr prep with a cleaner and wax and buff ur ass off

oh yea, if u use honda touch up paint. leav the bottle in the sun for awhile first to warm up and make the mixture more even.

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 01, 2001).]

#10 ·
I've done this before:
-Get the Honda touch up paint and fill in scratch. Don't worry about getting it too perfect. Let it dry overnight.
-Get a bottle of 3M rubbing compound. It's the stuff that is equivilant to 2000 grit sand paper (feels sandy).
-With a soft cloth, start rubbing out the touch up paint until it's smooth and blended in to the surrounding area. Don't rub just the touch up paint. Use broader strokes around the area, otherwise you'll just take all the touch up paint out. Go against the scratch, not with it.
-Use a polish (maguires 7) and an orbital (or rotary buffer with a wool pad) and buff out the light scratches (actually, their won't be any scratches, it'll just be dull paint)
-Wax, done.

If you are not comfortable doing this, don't. take it to a body shop! But, I've done it plenty to my civic and I can't even tell where the scratches and chips were.

#11 ·
well i cant get it on anything else? thanks for the tip about leaving it in the sun but i dont know about how to fill it just in the scratch. i mean i dont just go slopping it on but i try to keep the spreading minimal. with the touch up paint i got for the crystal blue its like clear metalic flakes. kinda sucks hahha

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#12 ·
hmmm i dont like sand paper and car in the same sentence. i mean wont that scratch up the paint a little? and where can i get the rubbing material that 3m one u talk about and hmmm what can that be compared too....man that scratch just hurts more and more inside hahahah

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#13 ·
oh u need a polish? i just bought a buffer from sears the other day and i thought i could just use wax on the car and it would be fine. like use the buffer and wax it on then buff it off. i use zymol wax

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#15 ·
yea, ok... after u touch it up, u dont have to use the 3m compund mentioned earlier. honestly i have never used it but it sounds a little too rough for me. heres what i recommend u do:

touch up with honda paint after its warmed up and well mixed. use a needle or toothpick to apply 1 thin layer. let is set about an hour or 2 and repeat till reached optimum filling equal to surface. if u dont want to spend the time to do so its up to u. but im paranoid about perfection and will go to any length to reach perfect results.

use meguiars Paint and Body Scrub. its less abraisive and i think it will do the job without the feal of swirls and fine scratches. what this does is help remove the little paint thats developed outside the scratch plus evening the paint out with the surounding surface. and yes, GO AGAINST the scratch! not with it. (eg: if scratch is horizontal, use smooth vertical strokes)

now check carefully if the paint is smoothened out evenly with the body to desired apperance. after that use meguiars step #2 crystal polish. much easier to use than meguiars step #7. and as for the polishing idea, the purpose of polish is to bring the shine out... deepening the color. so u would want to do that just in case.

then follow it with a wax. the wax is to protect it, not necessarily to make it shine (though it helps a little). but shining is the polish's job. just continue and wax and buff till its out. hopefully by then u have reached your desired results.

results of 5 meguiars products and many hours of work:

as u can see my paranoia shows through the body

#16 ·
Thanks ngluder but where can i get something like that. also do i have to use the polisher. i already applied some touch up paint withthe brush that it had and it kinda smeared a little over than just the scratch. Not tooo much of course. is it still fine to keep applying touch up paint?

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoYgUaN:
Thanks ngluder but where can i get something like that. also do i have to use the polisher. i already applied some touch up paint withthe brush that it had and it kinda smeared a little over than just the scratch. Not tooo much of course. is it still fine to keep applying touch up paint?

</font>

well first i use all meguires products. and i get all my stuff at any local chain store like auto zone, pep boys, kragen, walmart, and target.

second, no u dont HAVE TO use the polisher. just that it "might" help it look a tiny bit better at the end. but u totally dont have to do it.

since u already used the brush on it and all, does the cut seem pretty even with the paint yet? if not go head and add a few more layers carefully. the stuff the brush left outside of the scratch can be removed with the meguiars paint and body scrub. if that is not abraisive enough, try that 3M brand that someone mentioned here.

#18 ·
How much is that a bottle? and do you think i should go with the tooth pick painting or just stick with the brush? i mean its not quite even yet and the color dont really look the same i think its cuz i didnt heat it up but yeah..... u think if i jus wax it alot it will come out fine? i mean i dont mind buying the polisher but if it will help alot then i will get it. well let me post a pick up of the scratch on tuesday night so u can give me an opinion? oh yeah is there a rush for me to fix this quick? should i wash my car before i do any step or anything?

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#19 ·
How much is that a bottle? and do you think i should go with the tooth pick painting or just stick with the brush? i mean its not quite even yet and the color dont really look the same i think its cuz i didnt heat it up but yeah..... u think if i jus wax it alot it will come out fine? i mean i dont mind buying the polisher but if it will help alot then i will get it. well let me post a pick up of the scratch on tuesday night so u can give me an opinion? oh yeah is there a rush for me to fix this quick? should i wash my car before i do any step or anything?

</font>
wow.. so many Q's *takes big gulp of air* ok! first all the products i mentioned isnt that expensive. no more than $10 a bottle of anything im pretty sure. its up to u to decide what u want to use. if u just want to get over it and just try to bursh it a little then use the brush. if u want to maybe get the tiny spots in there, use somthi smaller. u dont have to buy the polisher. if ur cars pretty new, it might have very little effect to it. but if ur gona wax your car some time soon, u can always use the same polisher for the whole car prior to wax. post a pic if u want to... but ill probably just tell u the same thing. ha, im not a car doctor or anything
there isnt THAT limited of time to do this. if u drive it alot in bad weather without taking care of it, then obvisouly it has a chance to build rust. and finally, u should definitley clean the surface a bit before doing anything. towel with water and a little car soap is well enough.

#20 ·
heres a kinda ok example of before and after polish. top is before, bottom is after. take note though that i took the polished one in the shade (since u need to polish in cold shaddy areas) so that may help make it look shinnier.

this is the results of not polishing for a little over a year with cheap wax(top) and then polishing and waxing it with meguiars products(bottom)

#22 ·
hmmm i dont know it that stuff is that good. i use the zymol stuff and that comes out real smooth. i dont know about the polish stuff i should try it once i think. maybe i will try it once and see how it is. but i mean do you still use the wax after or what is it...polish then wax or wax then polish

------------------

OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT

#23 ·
hmmm i dont know it that stuff is that good. i use the zymol stuff and that comes out real smooth. i dont know about the polish stuff i should try it once i think. maybe i will try it once and see how it is. but i mean do you still use the wax after or what is it...polish then wax or wax then polish

</font>
detailers rule:

1- surface prep ( to get out contaminants)
2- polish (bring out the shine and color)
3- wax (protect the body and coating)

all the stuff i said was just suggestions. so obvisouly u dont have to buy specific things like i said. but thats what i use and im just sharing my experience

#24 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soniclude:
wow matt your car looks like it's part of the scenery in the 2nd pic. jeez, that's some good polish!

congrats on the shine! when i come back in the summer you better not blind me driving by.

</font>

haha thanks! yea, its almost like... whered my car go?! thats very very hard to accomplish with a non black car. or any kind of light colored car for that matter. hehe, ya i cant wait to meet up sometime over the summer and just talk lude

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 02, 2001).]

#26 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GldCrzy:
Wow Ng!! My car looks just a good as yours and mine is black. Of course I dont use polish though. Do you use the Gold Class for the wax? Thats what I use.

</font>
yup thanks! it is hard to make it shine like that on a light colored car. heres exactly what i use in order and all meguiars products by the way:

1- gold class wash
2- clay bar with quick detailer
3- step #1 cleaner wax
4- step #2 crystal polish (2 coats)
5- gold class wax
6- final inspection detailer

wheels i just use (meguiars):

1- hot wheel cleaner
2- high gloss paste

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
CURENT MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
HAVE AND INSTALLING SOON:
-UR pulleys set SS

screen name: CBFORMULA

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 02, 2001).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.