Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored today, decided to work on the car. I had an EGR block plate b4, but gave it to Coil222 cuz i thought i was gonna sell my car. Decided to keep car, so i had to make another.

This mod will require the OBDII work around if you have an OBDII car.(obviously). Not sure how it will work with OBDI.

Tools:
12mm socket w/ nice extension
Dremel w/ cutting discs and metal grinder
Drill w/ 9/16" bit

Material:
a small section of stock steel

To Start:

Let car cool down for a while before you start to work, the area around the EGR is tight, and you'll most likely burn yourself if you work on a hot car.

Step 1
Remove the wire harness, and the vaume line, and place aside. Then remove the 2 12mm bolts that hold the egr on. The EGR flares out towards the top, so you'll have to come in at an angle to get the bolts out. Sometimes a swivle socket works best.

Bolt 1

Bolt 2(i already removed it for this pic)

Step 2

Take the EGR out of the car. The holes that are in the manifold are what you will be blocking. with the egr out of the car, you'll need to place it on your steel, and drawer some lines around it to get the exact size of the block plate. Make sure you accurately mark your holes for the bolts.

Holes in manifold

Trace around EGR

Cut lines w/ bolt holes(it helps to use the end of the steel so you don't have to cut as much!)

Step 3

I Cut out the two outer edges first. It seemed to be the easiest route to do. Make sure you have plenty of dremel cutting discs. The cutting could take some time depending on how thick your steel is. I put the steel in a heavy vice so that it would not move on me while i was cutting. Remember to protect your eyes while cutting this, sparks and debris are flung all over. After i made the cut w/ the cutting disk, i used the grinder w/ the dremel to smooth over the edges.

Outer Edges cut, and cleaned up

Step 4

I drilled out the holes next. Trying to cut out the holes after the plate was cut would be a pain because of how small the plate would be. I opted to cut the holes while i had a bit of steel to clamp down on. I used a 9/16" drill bit for the holes. Use some motor oil on your drilling points to keep your bit from heating up. After the holes are drilled, line them up w/ the EGR. If they are off, drill them out so they match the EGR.

Holes drilled

Making sure holes line up w/ EGR

Step 5

Cut out your last section of the plate w/ the dremel, and grind down the rough edges. Place in car to make sure it fits over the studs. Make sure there are no bends in the plate, and it is flat as can be. Any bends wouldn't insure a proper seal, and exhaust gases could leak.

EGR Block plate in car

Step 6
Place the EGR on top of the block plate, and tighten down the two 12mm bolts. Re-attach vacume line, and wire harness.

EGR back in car, on top of plate

Make sure your OBDII work around switch is to the off position. This is a 2 start error. First time you start your car, you won't get a CEL. If you start the car again w/ the block plate, you will get a CEL UNLESS YOU HAVE THE OBDII WORK AROUND Then you are safe to go!

:bigthumb:

I think that is it.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
nice writeup chris, I have been considering doing this myself. I just gotta pickup some metal to plug it with. I'm assuming there won't be a lot of pressure there, so making a gasket isn't necessary.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
6mm!?!?!?!? How did you even cut that? I just used sheet metal.

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stuff i used was 3mm thick.

Yea, my engine is dirty. i haven't touched it all winter. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Someone please school me on this. What does this mod actually do?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation

In short, it keeps intake charges cooler.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Ok...so it cools down the intake charge. But if you block that valve what happens to the air trying to get through it? Does it just go back in to something? This doesn't do any damage?

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LUDExCONDUCT said:
Ok...so it cools down the intake charge. But if you block that valve what happens to the air trying to get through it? Does it just go back in to something? This doesn't do any damage?
Basically, how it works is the EGR takes the exhaust charge from one valve, and releases it back into the intake charge depending on your RPM. It ususually does it in lower rpms for emmission reasons. Well, when you block it, the exhaust gases don't go threw, and your intake charge doesn't heat up as much w/ the exhaust gases mixed with it. It doesn't do any damage, just throws a CEL if you don't have the OBDII work around.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Good write up Chris. How much air is actually let into the intake by the EGR?

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
dohcpower said:

Basically, how it works is the EGR takes the exhaust charge from one valve, and releases it back into the intake charge depending on your RPM. It ususually does it in lower rpms for emmission reasons. Well, when you block it, the exhaust gases don't go threw, and your intake charge doesn't heat up as much w/ the exhaust gases mixed with it. It doesn't do any damage, just throws a CEL if you don't have the OBDII work around.
I get it :D You smart guys are great...that's why i like this website...always learn something new.

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bolivianfuego said:
SO if doen right you dont get CEL, but if you do emission will you pass if doing this?

it won't HELP your chances at passing smog, but i'm sure it won't make you fail.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts