Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know, I was in an accident in late March. About $9k in damage, all front end stuff - basically everything from the radiator support forward is new, also with a new steering wheel & passenger airbag.

Hypothetically speaking, if I took my aftermarket parts off and put the car 95% back to stock (no CF hood, jdm fogs, body kit) how much would the car lose in value? obviously this is an estimate...

I love my car, but I'm realizing that financially speaking I'm stuck with it cause I'll lose a lot of money IF I decide to sell. I'm nowhere near the point of selling, I'm just thinking way down the road.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
presuming the car is fixed, u shouldn't be losing much value, if any. at least that's what i think. As ong as the accident does not show up on a carfax report, your value should be fine if everything was fixed and restored back to normal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i believe car dealership use a certain percentage calculation on value loss because of a claim or accident. not sure what it is, but a $9k claim is a lot. you will have a hard time selling your car to any reputable dealership as they usually don't want cars with claims on their lot unless you trade in at which time they will probably flip the car to a different dealership. best bet is to keep all mods and get an estimate and sell privately. atleast someone who appreciates the extra add on will give you extra money to save time and effort doing mods. that's my thoughts

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
If you sell it privately, you won't have many problems. Going through a dealership is a whole 'nother animal.

·
Registered
263 Posts
as long as it doesnt say salvaged on your title, i dont see you having a hard time selling it. if it was damaged, but fixed, its not that big of a deal. but if it was totaled and fixed, alot of people have issues buying cars like that. thats where you would loose money. i guess it would just all depend on what your insurance company decided about the condition

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it wasn't totaled in the title, and of course if i ever sold it to a priv party and they asked about previous accidents i would disclose that.

as for now, i'm just happy to have my car back :)

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
smokin lude said:
presuming the car is fixed, u shouldn't be losing much value, if any. at least that's what i think. As ong as the accident does not show up on a carfax report, your value should be fine if everything was fixed and restored back to normal.
I doubt it will show on a carfax report... mine didn't...

Of course, the DMV made a milage report when I bought my car:

It had 38,000 miles on it... they typed in 83,000 miles, I went back and told them to fix it... now carfax thinks there is a milage descrepantcy.

Oh boy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ok I had similart damage done to my car in April also. Without my car being in a bodyshop as of yet, the adjuster estimates the damage to be 8117.00.

Now here is the thing, there is battery acid all over my firewall, and has been there since the 15th of April, there is also battery acid on my block, and parts of the wiring harness. I know that estimate will skyrocket on monday when the car actually makes it to the bodyshop.

As far as what your car is worth goes as follows....
You should not have any sort of salvage title. So that is not going to be a problem.
Your car on it's trade-in value will depreciate, if they pull the VIN # (through Carfax or other means) and it was reported being in an accident because of the insurance claim.
If you sell your car privately then you have to disclose to the buyer the damage the car has sustained in it's past. If you do not do this then you can be held liable.

What you can do is that if you trade your car in and the value is no where near what it should be because of the accident. You can then go and ask for a differntiation check from the insurance company because they chose to repair and not total out the car.

As for myself I am trading the car in as soon as I get it back. I know well enough that it will never be the same as it was prior to the accident.

Riaz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts