Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a big difference? Im in the market for a prelude but the Vtec ones are pretty hard to find. Can anyone give me some advice? I heard the h23 is faster when u Mod it rather then the h22. Any advice would help out a lot.
thanks

·
C.O.D.
3,542 Posts
in the 1/4 times, a 4th gen vtec would probably go around high 14's to low 15's, while the SI would be around mid to high 15's. those times being done by a stick of course.

·
Registered
419 Posts
the Si's have 2.3 liters while VTECs have 2.2 liters, meaning 100mLs of extra displacement. however it puts out 30 less horsies and 2 less lbs of torque. the Si's clock in at high 15s and low 16s while the VTECs clock in at high 14s and low 15s.. take into mind that that is not concluded from personal experience but rather by general consensus. i'd say look for the VTEC.. i know people call it the dark side.. but VTEC is fun... drive economically when you want to and tear up the roads once in a while as you please, but a prelude is a prelude.. there are many things you can do to a non-vtec that can out-perform a VTEC.. and since non-vtecs are cheaper you'll have extra cash left.

------------------
-Eric
97 Nordic Mist Prelude

while i go take more.. "pleasing" pictures you'll just have to deal with this one. now wheres that dig. cam?

[This message has been edited by etherealude (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Obviously you guys don't own 4th gen. si's...
j/k... you're not too far off.

The si lude in stock form, with a capable driver, can pull a [email protected] around 90 mph.

The vtec lude in stock form, agian with a capable driver, can pull a [email protected] roughly 93 mph. (like was said above.)

------------------
'93 Black Si Lude (h23 power'd)

·
Registered
231 Posts
well said ethearlude..

but its a vtecccc, nothing like the real thang.. mann. and its a 4th gen, just the novelty of owning one... something special about that... i'd say keep hunting.. somebody's is bound to part w/ theirs.

------------------
96 Prelude VTEC
Flamenco Black Pearl

·
Registered
195 Posts
oh yeah 0-60 times:

vtec lude: 6.5-6.8
si lude: 7.0-7.2

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used to have an si motor, now I have a jdm vtec. If I were you I would get the VTEC. The Si has much better low end torque, while the VTEC pulls like crazy at the high end. Plus the VTEC has far better upgradibility than the Si. It's your choice. I've modded both - I had an Si with i/h/e and gude cams, and I can tell you it would get smoked by my current motor. VTEC is better than I could have ever imagined.

LLL

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
I think you guys are inflating performance numbers for both cars somewhat... =P

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spite:
I think you guys are inflating performance numbers for both cars somewhat... </font>
Don't we all ?!?

·
Registered
268 Posts
thank you tim!

------------------
BRacing
"Going faster since 1994"

"Drag racing is for those that can't steer"

·
Registered
188 Posts
vtec nets numbers

vtec
0-60 6.5
1/4 15.1 @93
top speed 137
70-0 181

Si
0-60 7.2
1/4 [email protected]
top speed 129
70-0 180

i've got an Si, i've driven both. off the line, the Si is much quicker. as soon as the vtec cam engages the vtec pulls a lot harder. for day to day driving the Si is a little more reasonable, doesn't use as much gas doesn't eat as much oil. for racing the vtec is definitely faster. handling wise, its going to be very close. the Si is about 70 lbs. lighter, so it may handle and brake a bit better(a slight bit). basically the difference is in the engine.

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
vtec nets numbers

vtec
0-60 6.5
1/4 15.1 @93
top speed 137
70-0 181

Si
0-60 7.2
1/4 [email protected]
top speed 129
70-0 180

i've got an Si, i've driven both. off the line, the Si is much quicker. as soon as the vtec cam engages the vtec pulls a lot harder. for day to day driving the Si is a little more reasonable, doesn't use as much gas doesn't eat as much oil. for racing the vtec is definitely faster. handling wise, its going to be very close. the Si is about 70 lbs. lighter, so it may handle and brake a bit better(a slight bit). basically the difference is in the engine.
</font>
The Si doesn't brake better - it has smaller brakes in front. The discs are about an inch smaller. Also, the si doesn't get out of the hole that much faster than a VTEC if at all. It just feels like it because of the torque. You have to remember that the VTEC revs WAY faster than the si. I drove my car with an Si motor for over 90,000 miles, so I know what I'm talking about. As far as the gas mileage goes - the VTEC gets better mileage if you stay out of VTEC - notice that the EPA mileage estimates are very similar. As far as burning oil goes - both the si and vtec will burn oil, if you are hitting high revs often. The VTEC is much much faster. Also, the vtec makes it through 7500 revs faster than the Si makes it through 6500 revs. If you see the two cars race, the VTEC will be in front all the way. Maybe, just maybe the Si will be slightly in front on the launch, but even that's doubtful. Get the VTEC, I love my VTEC motor - it is SOOOOOO much more fun than an Si motor. It's like a race car. Sorry si guys, but that's the truth.

LLL

·
Registered
188 Posts
well, they did only test their braking as 1 foot better, thats hardly better..but the only VTEC i've driven was a 5th gen, i haven't driven a 4th gen. so i'm comparing the off the line performance to that, and compared to that it was night and day. past that obviously the VTEC is faster, it has more horsepower. but isn't it generally known that the VTEC uses more oil? for one thing it has the extra squirters that the Si doens't have, plus it revs higher, so it will consume more oil than an Si. you're right about mileage, it should be close as long as you don't get VTEC happy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
well, they did only test their braking as 1 foot better, thats hardly better..but the only VTEC i've driven was a 5th gen, i haven't driven a 4th gen. so i'm comparing the off the line performance to that, and compared to that it was night and day. past that obviously the VTEC is faster, it has more horsepower. but isn't it generally known that the VTEC uses more oil? for one thing it has the extra squirters that the Si doens't have, plus it revs higher, so it will consume more oil than an Si. you're right about mileage, it should be close as long as you don't get VTEC happy.</font>
I think it's generally known and proven that the 4th gen vtecs are faster than the 5th gens. I beat down my friend's 5th gen with my old si motor (w/ cams and i/h/e). I've done about as accurate a comparison as you can do, considering that I had both motors in the same car, with all other variables being equal. I'm still surprised at how fast I pick up mph with the VTEC motor. The weird thing about the Si is that it feels fast because of the torque, even though it isn't necessarily picking up mph that fast. It's very hard not to get tricked into thinking the si is faster than it really is. If you listen to your butt dyno, it will feel very very fast. But, try driving an Si and looking at how fast the mph go up, and then do the same to a VTEC. You'll be surprised - I sure was. To me, it also feels like the VTEC keeps on pulling harder and harder, just when the si motor stops pulling in any given gear.

LLL

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pure Lude:
those si's aren't pushovers.......they are very underrepresented...

Tim
</font>
Damn straight, I've taken out a 5th Gen at the track before...but haven't beaten a 4th Gen VTEC yet...once I get some mods tho...

------------------
Got VTEC? I don't.
92 Prelude Si BONE stock
**[email protected] at LACR so 15.5 at Pomona**

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by axemansean:
People beauty is just a light switch away.
</font>

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Immortal69:
Is there a big difference? Im in the market for a prelude but the Vtec ones are pretty hard to find. Can anyone give me some advice? I heard the h23 is faster when u Mod it rather then the h22. Any advice would help out a lot.
thanks
</font>
It took me 6 whole months to find mine. It's not exactly what I wanted, but I settled anyways (it was red, I wanted black, new paint job soon). The interior feels so much nicer than my friend's SI. You get leather and a map light. The map light is very useful. As for power, you will see the SI jump on the start. But once the VTEC lude hits around 4k then onto VTEC, it'll pull from the SI. My car feels like crap under 2k though.

As for oil consumption, the reason why the VTEC may burn more oil is because it's higher revving. I barely burn any oil, VTEC at least once a day. My friend's SI burn much more oil than my VTEC.

Although my car has been running pretty crappy lately, and my gas mileage sucks, I still get better gas mileage than my friend's SI. And the VTEC have bigger brakes than the SI. I thik 11.4" in the front? I'm not so sure.

But, if you plan on going turbo later, you should get an SI, because of the lower compression. VTEC + turbo isn't the best combo. Get the VTEC if you want a very capable street car and can still tear it up on track. It'll be worth the little extra money you pay for it. Keep searching until you find one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts