Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been thinking about the tranny swap especially with the one being sold on ebay. i searched this before i posted and found no useful results.

can someone tell me how much on average it costs for the labor only on a SS to 5spd swap? thanks in advance...

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
it's around 2-3k...depending on how much the dude wants to charge. If you really really want to research this...there is one guy on the prelude maillist (at yahoogroups), who did it...he's from OC, so the shop must be from around here. Also, SCC featured a lude awhile back which also did the swap....that guy was local also (it said he was from Chino)...and it also mentioned the shop that did the swap in it also...i forget where, but that was local also. If you want, i can get you the email address of the guy off the prelude ML. The SCC mag u'll just hafta search for. I mention these two, since most likely you would like someone to do this who has done it before and knows what it actually entails. Third, is maybe a shop (i forget the exact name...japan engine land or something like that)....they've done fairly nice work...but mostly with engines...but maybe they can do the tranny also? I can ask my friend and find that out for you. Just shoot me an email or whatever.

Ideally, i would say strip your current lude...go buy a stick, and sell your auto...it's the practical way to do it. Once you do a tranny swap, it'll be REALLY hard to sell your car, since it will be noted with your VIN that things don't match up, and the buyer most likely won't like it. It's just not worth it....especially since i know you're not keeping the car forever....

The amount you pay for the swap more than justifies the amount you'll probably lose in the switch to a 5sp. If it's too much...look for a used 5sp then...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok... i think im dropping the idea. i didnt know labor would be up to 2k...

·
OG
2,040 Posts
Matt, be proud of your SS! Sure, we might have a harder time keeping up with the rest of the gang, but we've got the same great style, and we're neck and shoulders above alot of the competition already.

And we can do cool things like change the radio station or wave out the window anytime we like!

The way I always see it is that this car is for cruising. If i really need speed, well, that's what 2 car garages are for.

------------------
Raman ~ AIM: R Viper G
Viper's Lair ~ 99 Pearl White SS ~ Mods

1 - 4 of 4 Posts