Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 45,xxx miles on my lude and I was wondering if I get aftermarket springs(lower 1"-1.5") how long would I have untill I have to get new shocks? Also who makes shocks for the SH? Everywhere I look all the shocks I see are for the base.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Not very long. Just get some Koni's. They are for the base, but as long as you are changing your springs they will fit. They just don't work with the SH factory springs.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rf7475:
Not very long. Just get some Koni's. They are for the base, but as long as you are changing your springs they will fit. They just don't work with the SH factory springs.</font>
tight.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rf7475:
Not very long. Just get some Koni's. They are for the base, but as long as you are changing your springs they will fit. They just don't work with the SH factory springs.</font>
How long is not to long? I want to lower my car but I don't have enough money to get the springs and shocks all at once. Whould they last a couple months?

·
Registered
957 Posts
My friend's Civic shocks lasted about 20K miles or so until they blew, but he was dropped on 2-inch springs. and he put the springs on with only 15k miles on the car.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
get the shocks in the same time. you dont' want to do it twice. just save up.. get tokico blues man.. hella good and cheap.

------------------
99 premium white prelude
OEM body kit
H&R sport springs
Tokico shocks

01 BMW M3(soon)
ask me and I'll show you how

2by2.net

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I know i'm do for a shock change soon.. but so far..dropped 1.5 all around and it's been 3 years....44,000 miles. Still rides like stock.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FukDupt:
Originally posted by rf7475:
How long is not to long? I want to lower my car but I don't have enough money to get the springs and shocks all at once. Whould they last a couple months?

depends how much of a tolerance you have for a bumpy ride

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Originally posted by preludepower99:
get the shocks in the same time. you dont' want to do it twice. just save up..

Yea don't pay twice for the same install!!

Just save up for the shocks as well and do the install once ONLY!

My guesstimate would be 6-12 months tops for ur stock dampers, depending on how u drive of course!!!

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
1) Your ride will suffer with stock struts, they aren't valved right for aftermarket springs (you will get a bouncy ride).

2) I haven't seen a set of stock struts last more than 50k miles on aftermarket springs. Even so, they tend to deteriorate, possibly leaking and bottoming out.

3) You don't want to have to do this crap all twice. If you can't afford to buy new struts, you probably can't afford to lower the car.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
mine lasted about a year, i guess around 10k, after I installed my prokits.
I bet yours will only last you half the time as mine. Take others' word for it. Change your shocks too. Because when you first get your springs, you will feel the difference in handling, but when the stock shocks get shot in 6 months, it will feel WORSE than stock suspension set up, bounce, and a lot of "body-roll"...I am freelin that right now,
i need some tokicos

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts