Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently went up to a local shop to get a quote on buying and installing crower stage 2's for my car

they said about $3000 - $3500 for everything

everything = crower cams, crower dual valves springs, crower ti retainers, crower oversize valves, installation, port&polish head, and machine head to fit oversize valves

so are they charging too much?

also, they insist on getting new valves, becuase they say that the dual springs would be too strong for the stock valves, is this true, or will stock valves run fine with the stronger dual springs?

if i bought my parts elsewhere they said the installation would be about $1200, thats with the machining and p&p. im not sure but it still sounds a little high to me, what do you guys think? your input is greatly appreciated, thanks

dan

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
well if theyre gonna port and polish it too i guess it sounds ok but i dont know how much crower cams and valve train go for

·
Registered
409 Posts
sounds about right. they are going to charge you pretty high prices for the crower stuff which will put you at around $1800 for parts then the $1200 for labor.

$1200 for that much labor isnt bad, sounds reasonable. One of the site sponsors Afterhourzracing can get you all those crower parts for really really good prices. Check out the post in classifieds.

·
Registered
209 Posts
if you do decide to get this done. remember to keep your reciepts and be sure they dont screw you over.

my friend with an integra (or who had an integra) went to a shop and bought Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams and they charged him labor and what not for the cams, valves, etc. when he wanted to port n polish one day, he brought it to a different shop and they said the other shop put in type r cams, stock valves and blah blah... basically there no skunk2 products in his car at all. he couldnt find his receipts so he pretty much got dicked.

so be sure to keep those reciepts!

·
Registered
186 Posts
if the shop is reputable, it might be worth little bit extra for the labor. they might be a little more detail oriented and that can make a big difference.
rock!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds like a big time rip-off to me.

Fist of all, nowhere have I seen anyone recommend (requiring, actually is what they're saying) swapping valves for a stage 2 cam with dual springs. Crower doesn't recommend it (while they do recommend using their spring/retainer kit). Quite the opposite, I've seen plenty of people recommend staying with the stock valves due to their tendency to bend rather than break off in extreme situations.

$1200 for porting, machining and assembly is exorbitant. www.portflow.com advertises the same head service for $300 less...

As for the parts, its hard to tell without an individual price breakdown, but:

- The cams shouldn't cost you more than $700 (www.crower.com list price $680.26).

- The springs and retainers together in a kit shouldn't cost you more than $450 (Crower list price $427).

- They're trying to hose you by insisting you get Crower valves, but even if you do it, you shouldn't pay more than $320 for all 16 (about $20 per - Crower list price - $270).

Add that up. Even with the unnecessary valve swap, it's still only...$1470. What's the extra $330 for?

I would RUN, NOT WALK away from that shop.

·
Registered
209 Posts
GP.45 said:
Sounds like a big time rip-off to me.

Fist of all, nowhere have I seen anyone recommend (requiring, actually is what they're saying) swapping valves for a stage 2 cam with dual springs. Crower doesn't recommend it (while they do recommend using their spring/retainer kit). Quite the opposite, I've seen plenty of people recommend staying with the stock valves due to their tendency to bend rather than break off in extreme situations.

$1200 for porting, machining and assembly is exorbitant. www.portflow.com advertises the same head service for $300 less...

As for the parts, its hard to tell without an individual price breakdown, but:

- The cams shouldn't cost you more than $700 (www.crower.com list price $680.26).

- The springs and retainers together in a kit shouldn't cost you more than $450 (Crower list price $427).

- They're trying to hose you by insisting you get Crower valves, but even if you do it, you shouldn't pay more than $320 for all 16 (about $20 per - Crower list price - $270).

Add that up. Even with the unnecessary valve swap, it's still only...$1470. What's the extra $330 for?

I would RUN, NOT WALK away from that shop.
very well said! :bigthumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts