Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about 6 feet tall and I raced my prelude for the first time this past weekend. Now I barely fit in the lude as it is, my hair brushes the top constantly. The seat is slid back as far as it goes, and I have the seat back up full minus one notch, anything lower and I can't reach the wheel, anything closer and my footwork is quite hampered...

Anyhow... I put my helmet on and get in.. WHOOPS.. no way, I can't fit. So I have to drop the seat back down about 4 notches... of course, now I'm totally uncomfortable, look like a punk and run a pretty dismal time.

Anyhow when I get out I mention this to soem guys from our club and the guys suggest I open the sunroof... so I do.. but I have to lean to the right about 4-6 inches and it only sorta helps. Although I can now get the seat-back up to where I want it, I have to move it forward a bit to get my helmet to fit in the area of the narrow prelude sunroof.

Anyhow.. this is yet another unacceptable problem with trying to AutoX this car.

I'm looking at aftermarket seats now.... what are your guys's experience with aftermarket seats, headroom and racing?

Ultimately I'm looking for something to lower my seating position, everything else (fabric, hold, color) is secondary.

What kind of costs am I looking at?

·
0 Posts
Most aftermarket seats with sliders are higher than stock. If you're the only one driving you could do a fixed mount and get it much lower. Also, racing buckets are usually lower than reclining models, but getting in and out of a bucket is a real PITA. I would suggest looking into Sparco, Momo, or Recaro seats. There are brackets out there for the 5Gen, but I believe the height is the same as stock, or a bit higher.

Cost depends on what kind of seat. Sparcos and Momos can be had for $600 to $700, but Recaros are going to be $800+.

I know there is a mod out there that allows you to drop the stock seat some, but I haven't done it. I can't remember where it's at on the web. Hopefully someone will remember.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
wow i'm like 6'2" and my head is about an inch or 2 below the roof. of course my seat position is different from yours. seat all the way forward (kneecaps bout an inch away from center console) and seat tilted back further than normal (or so people tell me) and i don't lean back in the seat fully for some odd reason.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by taylor:
my hair brushes the top constantly.</font>
oh and you don't have an afro do you? cause my head is like 1/4 of an inch from being bald.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm 6'0 (mostly torso) and it's a tight squeeze with a helmet, but it's ok. For autoX, I like to slide the seat forward about 1 notch closer than I do for everyday driving. I leave the sliding shade open and lean a little to the right so that my helmet is in the moonroof well. I try and recline the seatback as vertical as possible to the point where I can rest my wrist on the top of the steering wheel. It's not particularly comfortable, but for autoX purposes, I'm only in there for a minute at a time.

I believe Marsh figured out a way to lower the stock seats by 0.5" or so. Do a search on his username and go to his webpage (I think he posted the instructions there).

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blue, nope. But my hair isn't the issue, I can slouch in a bit if necessary, but a helmet adds about 2 inches or so. I should try moving the seat up real close and dropping the back.. but I doubt that'll be comfortable.

The S2000 on the other hand fits me like a glove. And I've been in it with a helmet and the top up, tight, but no problems.. bad design on the lude. (which sucks cause the lude is a really great car, no real complaints until I tried to race it).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Im 6'2 mostly legs. I have never hade a problem fitting. Seat is all the way back, and 1 or two nothces back. My head rest is usually aligned with the back of the door frame. I dunno how to explain that. My hair rubs the ceiling someitmes. When i used to gel it, it would hit alot. Hmm, i dont really have to worry about it, we dont have to were helmets here. Good luck fisingf your problem though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.. I've seen these seat lowering instructions before. But I took couldn't find them again.

Well this is another option.. maybe taking the leather off the seats would give me back a half inch or so. (maybe this is the difference between me and BlueShadow).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey you're in Mississauga? If removing the Leather seats is a solution. Then I guess I could sacrifice my cloth seats in exchange for your leather ones. :)

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

"The General" :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SlntSam:
Haha.. actually the leather kinda sucks ass. The dealership I bought it from had a 3rd party do it.. it's got to be the worst "professional" job I've encounterd.. I honestly don't know why I keep them on, I guess to protect the material under them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm 6'5" and i fit just fine, even with a helmet (once i put on a racing helmet and drove around city streets to catch people's reactions *long story*) but anyways i never had a problem, i guess that's cuz i lean the seat back some. just adjust your driving style.

------------------
2000 Prelude base,
AEM CAI, 17" 5zigen Inperio S0-8's (white)
APEXi N-1 Catback
Ground Control Coilovers
Tokico Non Adjustables
FORMER MEMBER of Sindicate Racing

·
Registered
810 Posts
That's weird - I thought the fifth gens have more headroom than the 4th gens... I'm almost 6 feet tall and I don't have any problems in my lude. Maybe you should sit differently, and adjust the steering wheel accordingly. Do you have really spiky hair?

LLL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts