Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you paint the inner housing of the 5th gen headlights?

------------------
-Eric
97 Nordic Mist Prelude

while i go take more.. "pleasing" pictures you'll just have to deal with this one. now wheres that dig. cam?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
r u referring to the aluminum part?

------------------
00 Black Lude
Full Gold Trim Kit,including exhaust tips
Gold tint

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
man thats real hard, i dont think theres a real easy way to do it caus i dont think u can open that head light part up and just start painitng the inside like that.

ive seen a pic of it done though. u might have to do some serious cutting and fabricating

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
retired
7,431 Posts
no, you can take the housing apart, just like how 98+ accords take out the housing to take out the orange strip.

i've taken apart the housing of a 5th gen and 6th gen accord before, and im sure our preludes will be the same.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
exactly how is it done again?

------------------
-Eric
97 Nordic Mist Prelude

while i go take more.. "pleasing" pictures you'll just have to deal with this one. now wheres that dig. cam?

·
Registered
416 Posts
same way taillights are cleared.

1.take a heat gun,
2.heat up where the clear plastic cover meets the rear assembly.
3.do it carefully,
4.heat all around evenly and slowly start separating.
5.paint, glitter, do what you wish once the clear cover is separated.
6.put back while heating the glue that holds the pieces together.
7.apply a coat of silicone once you have the pieces back just to make sure you got proper seal.

that's the thing with doing these projects. you may never get it to seal perfect and in headlights, this means trapped moisture.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnsoncranium:

that's the thing with doing these projects. you may never get it to seal perfect and in headlights, this means trapped moisture.
</font>
im telling ya, its alot of work and just leads easily to unwanted problems...

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
It really isn't as bad as you'd think matt...all depends on how much time and effort you wish to put into it. I've taken apart two accord headlights (to remove the orange thing), and it's really not that bad. I used the oven method however. Still...works just like the heat gun way. Really not that bad and turns out decent as long as you seal it up right. We've had no problems with the lights we did....

------------------

·-÷• [email protected] •÷-·
'*·-÷• HA Chat ·-=-· Prelude FAQ •÷-·*'
'•A music video my woman appeared in•'

·
Registered
957 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
What kind of (black)paint would you all recommend?

</font>
I used black heat paint for my first two coats and then for the final coat some regular glossy black paint.

·
Registered
957 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BottleFedLude:
Got any pics of your lights?</font>
nothing close-up, but check my post from the other day titled "my new pics" or search on hp.com for member "steve"

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I might be doing this tomorrow to make my red barbie ferrari wannabe look a little meaner. Got some questions first.

I am doing the oven method. How long do I leave it in there for? I don't want me lights to melt in to nothingness.

Also, what kind of silicone sealant? I already have a tube from a caulk gun, will this work?

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
Try searching the accord forum...for links. I had some, but can't locate them

I believe it was only like 1 or 2 minutes, nothing too long.

As for sealant...i used a type from a squeeze bottle (like toothpaste)...it was white but dried clear. Forgot the type tho. I'm sure the caulking gun type will work too. Use your finger to apply the stuff...you'll get much better coverage.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
If something goes wrong it's because the person who did it didn't do a good job. It's more time consuming than difficult. As ODL suggested ask the Accord people or even Kion on the Civic board....he just did his.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
that's the thing with doing these projects. you may never get it to seal perfect and in headlights, this means trapped moisture.</font>
yes, i saw a celica at the last autoX with a fucked up (fogged) headlight... so make sure you seal it perfectly.

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by malken00:
I like to rub my nipples while watching the shopping channel </font>
[This message has been edited by o0OO0o (edited April 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
836 Posts
hahahahah!!!!! man! ppl still remember my quotes!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jspec81:
"This technique is a trick of the trade in vancouver"

-Mr. RiceAdvisor

</font>

·
Registered
836 Posts
Oh then again...try to seal it up GOOD..and highly recommended to wrap it over with water resistant tape too. U dont want any condensation going in after...if there is condensation..a trick is to open the rubber sleeve where the top headlight bulb is located..so the air can match the air inside the headlight..and blah blah.... and a little extra silicone can come in handy! when putting the thing back together!....... USe a big fat flat screw driver to pry that bietch open too...its easy! just ...Take it easy! dont rush!
I thought taking off the bumper and headlights was harder!
haha

------------------
that ludes sweet but ur mamas tassstttyyy

You want Advice? ask your nearest RiceAdvisor

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 56 Posts