Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i replaced my plugs today.... not having closely inspected a used spark plug before, how do these look for +/-15k miles. i probably didn't need to replace them, but i was curious if i could tell the difference.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wet? no, not "wet." there were some drop of oil on the threads when i took them out... a tiny amount. is that abnormal?

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tt.... anyone else?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
im no pro but looks pretty "ok" to me. nothing serious at least...

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
hmm...they look a little weird to me...Maybe VTEC causes the plugs to wear differently or something. Are there deposits around the electrode? Or is the electrode in somewhat of a cone type shape? If the electrode is in a cone type shape, they look alright.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Sometimes if there is oil on the threads than the o ring seals on each of the plug holes is leaking. Pull the valve cover and replace the 4 of them.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Their are too many deposits on the center electrode. What kind of fuel are you using?

I think they look worn.
It also looks like some detonation might be occurring from the particles and the shiny look of the ground electrode.

You might want to try the PFR7G-11's as opposed to the PZFR6F-11's your already using. They are slightly colder and will help.

There are really a LOT of particles on your center electrode!

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
damn, now you all got me worried! my engine is BONE STOCK, but i do drive it very hard.

i have noticed a fairly slight decrease in high end power over the last 5,000 miles or so, which is why i pulled the plugs. with my gtech, i used to be able to pull a 14.8/14.9, but recently i haven't been able to break 15.1... that's a pretty small difference, but on the other hand, it is measurable and quite consistent. i'm wondering if it's the additives in CA gas. i fill up at chevron or shell most of the time, 92 octane, and it usually has MTBE in it, sometimes it has ethanol. did CA gas have additives last fall? i thought it might be a winter thing, like oxygenation.

what would be causing *detonation* (aieee) on a stock engine? i think i mis-shifted once since i bought the car, but i got the clutch down pretty quick and i don't think i bent a valve or anything like that. maybe i should have a valve adjustment done?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
So that's what they look like at 15K? I just passed 15K. Aren't the stock plugs supposed to be good to 100K? If so, those don't look very good to me.

------------------
My new mechanic

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
damn, now you all got me worried! my engine is BONE STOCK, but i do drive it very hard.

i have noticed a fairly slight decrease in high end power over the last 5,000 miles or so, which is why i pulled the plugs. with my gtech, i used to be able to pull a 14.8/14.9, but recently i haven't been able to break 15.1... that's a pretty small difference, but on the other hand, it is measurable and quite consistent. i'm wondering if it's the additives in CA gas. i fill up at chevron or shell most of the time, 92 octane, and it usually has MTBE in it, sometimes it has ethanol. did CA gas have additives last fall? i thought it might be a winter thing, like oxygenation.

what would be causing *detonation* (aieee) on a stock engine? i think i mis-shifted once since i bought the car, but i got the clutch down pretty quick and i don't think i bent a valve or anything like that. maybe i should have a valve adjustment done?
</font>
schwett,

I would change the plugs if I were you. I would also try the colder plugs, the ones you posted on here were showing signs of detonation.

Colder plugs will help with that.
PFR7G-11

Pete,

I highly doubt anyone here has gone 100K miles with their original stock plugs. It also depends on driving conditions and the fuel that hs been used. Additives will do plugs in.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
veetec/71dsp/other pros :

what would be causing detonation in a totally stock and pretty well maintained engine? MBTE and/or ethanol? crappy gas? excessive redlining?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeeTec:
schwett,

I would change the plugs if I were you. I would also try the colder plugs, the ones you posted on here were showing signs of detonation.

Colder plugs will help with that.
PFR7G-11

</font>

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Heat causes detonation. Cheap fuel can aid this.

Your plugs did not look severe, but there were an awful lot of deposits on them, and the ground electrode also had a shiny, melted on, appearance which can be a sign of detonation or too much heat.

If your using the PZFR6F-11's simply going to the PFR7G-11's will reduce heat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.