Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have the Mugen Showa suspension. I bought it used from someone who I know took good care of it. Between the two of us, it probably has about 15k miles on it.

I am thinking of selling it to get something adjustable, possibly Teins. I am happy with the way it handles but I would like the ability to raise the car up so I can drive more comfortably when I visit NYC, Boston etc.

Is there any way I can test or estimate how much more life the struts have in them? I want to be able to provide some sort of information when I put them up for sale.

Thanks in advance :)

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
If you knew the factory specs, you could send the dampers to somwhere with a shock dyno. But good luck getting the valving info from king/mugen. Even then, I don't think they are rebuildable.

The springs should be good for the remainder of eternity.

Otherwise, you will notice when the suspension is going if the ride becomes bouncy and looses that "edge."

And as the Teins go, if you want to drive more comfortable in NYC/Boston, I would look elsewhere. Even the SS has higher spring rates than the Mugen showa. (Almost positive, correct me If you know otherwise.)

·
powered by oyster sauce
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad you replied, I was actually about to send you a PM. I noticed that one reason for selling your Tein SS system was the ride comfort. Is there a softness setting that is comparable to stock, and did you try that with just a mild drop?

I am sure you are right, the Tein SS is stiffer than the Mugen, so I am not expecting anything cushy. The ability to adjust ride height is what I am looking for right now though :)

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
im sorry but its a shock thread....

get TEIN SS yo!

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Well, yes the tein SS can be very very soft if you set the dampers low enough. However, therein lies the problem. As you soften the shocks you also soften the rebound damping, which, paired with the relatively stiff springs creates a bouncy feeling. If you want the shock to be strong enough on the rebound to compensate for the spring, yoiu need to set them to at most 8 clicks from stiff, which is still too stiff for my taste.

My logic with the konis is that a much softer spring (H&R) paired with a very strong shock (neuspeed koni yellow) will make the shock adjustments more useful and provide a softer NON BOUNCING ride.

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
And btw, my car was hardly slammed. I had it set to the Tein Reccomended height in the rear, and slightly higher than that in the front for a two finger gap all around.

·
wasting my youth
1,349 Posts
Yeah, you shouldn't have much trouble selling mugen stuff. And 15k really isn't much, especially with soft-ish springs.

·