Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
umm..how do i get a coat of bad wax off...any kinda of cleaner pretty good or didnt someone once say something about a "clay bar" or something - and dont ask how it happened.....ughh

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Sandpaper.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Polish is the better way though isn't it? Aren't you supposed to polish first then use the bar?</font>
really? i don't think you're supposed to use both... if i have to use both, i'd go clay bar then polish...

------------------
I'm one step ahead of you and one step behind o0oo0o</font>

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JoyseeVtec:
clay bar huh - get that in any auto store right?</font>
Kragen baby!!

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Polish is the better way though isn't it? Aren't you supposed to polish first then use the bar?</font>
i think polish is pretty much like the claybar. it removes dirt & grime from the paint. i think the claybar is just alot easier. btw, if you ever claybar a spot on your car, go over it with some wax, b/c the claybar just removed it!

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Theoretical Physicist
3,621 Posts
You could try Miguire's Body Scrub too. You just apply a light coat, then wipe it off. ...easier than claybar IMO.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
i use dish washer soap when i feel like taking EVERYTHING off and doing a fresh and full detail job. I know it's bad because it strips the car of all wax and leaves it bare and unprotected (must watch out what you use to dry it), but i never leave it like that. I use a cleaner or compound and then polish it and end it with 2 coats of high tech yellow wax.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by po0p:
i use dish washer soap when i feel like taking EVERYTHING off and doing a fresh and full detail job. I know it's bad because it strips the car of all wax and leaves it bare and unprotected (must watch out what you use to dry it), but i never leave it like that. I use a cleaner or compound and then polish it and end it with 2 coats of high tech yellow wax.
</font>
man that's like 6 hours of work!!!!

hey, has anyone ever dropped their claybar?

------------------
I'm one step ahead of you and one step behind o0oo0o</font>

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OvaDaLimiT:
I have....
not the whole thing tho. Most of it landed on my foot when i blocked the fall, but a corner still touched down....picked up a bunch of sh!t. Took a handknife...sliced the sh!t off, and continued my merry way...

</font>
LOL we have an acrobat on this board

------------------
David [email protected]

ICQ UIN: 4310950
AOL SN: Poena97

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
to strip off most of the old wax thats real bad, just use house hold dish washing liquid and wash the car.

polishing to what i know doesnt "remove" wax. polish doesnt technically remove anything for that matter. a clay bar i doubt would do the trick. its excelent on getting hard contaminants off the paint but im not sure if it will grab the wax but i have a feeling it wont.

best thing to do besides dish liquid is use a type of body scrub. i only use meguiars so i would use the paint and body scrub like someone suggested. either that or the step #1 cleaner wax.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
CURENT MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit
HAVE AND INSTALLING SOON:
-UR pulleys set SS

screen name: CBFORMULA

·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
to strip off most of the old wax thats real bad, just use house hold dish washing liquid and wash the car.

polishing to what i know doesnt "remove" wax. polish doesnt technically remove anything for that matter. a clay bar i doubt would do the trick. its excelent on getting hard contaminants off the paint but im not sure if it will grab the wax but i have a feeling it wont.

best thing to do besides dish liquid is use a type of body scrub. i only use meguiars so i would use the paint and body scrub like someone suggested. either that or the step #1 cleaner wax.

</font>
ummmm...
polish does in fact take off the old wax and if you have red paint w/o clearcoat like me, some of the paint [/b]would[/b] come off as well! *phew* there...

i have done this too many times to count, but using polish leaves red residue on the towels i used.

------------------
------------------

OG H-A Member
1997 San Marino Red SH
~scratch here, ding there. Sigh...~
AIM: imagepree

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
ummmm...
polish does in fact take off the old wax and if you have red paint w/o clearcoat like me, some of the paint
would[/b] come off as well! *phew* there...

i have done this too many times to count, but using polish leaves red residue on the towels i used.

[/B]</font>

well thats mainly because of the lack of a clear coat on your car. polish on normal cars would mainly add more nutrients and oils to the paint to make it shine stronger and deeper. but then maybe at the same time it removes stuff too i guess =T

i do know that u should use any kind of body scrub or clay bar BEFORE the polish.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
CURENT MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -Apexi V-AFC -autometer A/F gauge -autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-I'm done moding for performance now!
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:

well thats mainly because of the lack of a clear coat on your car. polish on normal cars would mainly add more nutrients and oils to the paint to make it shine stronger and deeper. but then maybe at the same time it removes stuff too i guess =T

i do know that u should use any kind of body scrub or clay bar BEFORE the polish.

</font>
if it takes off my red paint, why wouldn't it take off the clearcoat???

1 - 20 of 35 Posts