Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a track day scheduled tomorrow. I have prepared the car as best I can, fresh oil, fresh coolant and brake fluid. New track day brake pads. The thing is, it's going to be 110deg F tomorrow. Track temp will likely be in excess of 150deg F, same goes for cabin temp.

I have a Koyo dual row rad but only the stock oil to water oil cooler.

My question is . . . will the car be ok in this heat? I am planning on shifting 1000rpm short of the cutout, which means shifting at 7000rpm. Hoping this will manage oil temp. I am running Motul 8100 Xcess (100% synth). My tuner assures me that he has tuned the car quite safely and have factored in temp correction (Neptune).

I am pretty worried about the car. To manage my own hydration I am limiting myself to 4 laps at a time max. This is video of my car at the same track YouTube - Hot Laps at Sandown in my '94 Honda Prelude.

Would it be a good idea to run one step colder spark plugs as well?

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
I think you should be fine. Do you have an oil temp gauge?

I would highly suggest getting one. I think you should be fine because Ive tracked the car in 100 degree Texas weather. You've already done all the preventative measures, go out there and have fun.

FYI there are preludes here that just run a Fluidyne radiator (no fans) and track their car because the radiator is so big and you are moving at a high rate of speed constantly. (not sitting in traffic)

I don't think you need to shift early either (unless it gives you a peace of mind), you can bang off the rev limiter all day.

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, you guys may have heard on your news coverage that us Victorians in Australia had our hottest day on record . . . 117deg F.

The car ran well yesterday, I shifted right on the redline (limiter is 8000). The longest stint I did was 5 laps straight for a timed session. The only casualty is my A/C. I went to turn it on on the cool down lap so I wouldn't melt in the car, it blew cold air for about 20 seconds then made a grinding noise and now I have a rattling and swishing sound at idle. I think the extreme heat must have killed the compressor. I'll have to remove the alternator/AC belt to make sure the problem isn't with something else.

I'm pretty happy with the my performance, the instructor was very helpful too. It was my first time doing a track day with a lightened flywheel and I must say it makes such a massive difference, the rev matching is soooooo much easier. The Fidanza 8lbs unit held up well. The instructor actually made a suggestion in regards to the car, he said I should get braided brake lines because when he drove it, he could feel the brake lines swelling (he's a pro race driver).

I struggled with inconsistent pedal feel, sometimes it was a bit long then it would come back to me. It's not pad fade, like the brake fluid sometimes got too hot.

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I think I will install one.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Vid looks good! You had a near scare I see around 1:50 of the vid. :eek: I'd work on your line, look further ahead, and turn in sooner on some spots, but good driving nonetheless. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts