Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car last april from a honda dealership, the passenger side windows covered with water spots. Ive tried windex, honda glass cleaner, and scrubbing the windows when washing my car and nothing takes these water spots off.

My mom had her acura cl detailed at a really nice place (cost about 250) and they said they use fine steel wool and windex.
They gave my mom the fine steel wool that they use and I tried it but it didnt work. (or maybe im just not patent enough)

Any suggestions?NOPRUNE

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
You probably have to try something stronger. Get something specifically suited for hard water stains and go at it gently with some fine steel wool. You should definitely see some improvement if not clear it completely. Just make sure you don't get it all over your paint, trim, etc.

·
C.O.D.
3,542 Posts
here are a couple solutions...i doubt they'll work tho.

1)wash your car with vinegar. yes white vinegar. just get a gallon and use it liberally

2)clay bar your windows

3)use a window polish. you could use a paint polish too...as long as there are no oils or fillers that are made specifically for the paint.

4)last line of defense in this case would generally be the steel wool. if that doesn't work....then i'm afraid your window is now pitted and there are craters.

make sure with the wool that you don't blow it onto your car. yes be patient. just keep rubbing, but don't do it too hard as to not scratch your glass. when you use the wool, little bits of steel will be emitted. try to wear some sort of mask as to not inhale any particles. also...don't wipe it if it lands on your paint. it will scratch it.

last resort, go to a window technican. if it's too serious, then they'll have to replace it. or maybe use inudstrial strength cleaners or something.

·
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!
2,821 Posts
I've had success with 3m rubbing compound.....I use it as a polish/compound for almost anything, and it's so aggressive it usually works :laugh:

·
C.O.D.
3,542 Posts
BB6Driver said:
was that serious or a joke.....laughing face confuses me.
Should I use the 3m rubbing compound on my windows?

uhhh....
i think ben was being serious :) however for rubbing compound to be effective...especially on windows i think it's too abrasive and you need an incredible amount of heat to make it effective.

when you hear about people taking swirls on their cars, the main reason why they can do it is because they can create enough heat for whatever material they use to be used effectively. that's why generally using a buffer/orbital/rotary machine is more effective than doing things by hand.

if you want to use a rubbing compound, use a fine cut compound...preferably 3M Fine Cut Compound (simple name eh?) it's best if you use a Porter Cable. the reason why i say porter cable is because it's not powerful enough to do damage, but it gives a lot better results than doing it by hand.

·
C.O.D.
3,542 Posts
shortysm22 said:
steel wool, would thats scratch up the windows? i am curious
You have you make sure you get the finest steel wool available. IIRC, I believe it's #00000...or #0000. All 0's for sure. Anyway, it should not scratch up your windows -- you just have to make sure that you're doing it carefully.

·
Holler
347 Posts
I had the same problem. I used fine steel wool and rubbed my windows with auto glass stripper that I found at Napa's. Here's a link to it online: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1452134&cp=1254883.1255104.1303991&parentPage=family&searchId=1303991

Let me remind you that this process will not take 5-10 mins. It will take hours to do your windows. Trust me, it may not seem like its working at first..but you have to keep at it for a long time. The end result will be based on how much work you put into it. If its still raining in your area, I'd wait till the weather gets better before doing this. I plan on redoing my windows this spring and then get my windows tinted. Remember, the hard water spots can and will come back...problems worse for me though..I'm located in Oregon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
actually. some fine grade steel wool, like 000 grade, and some rubbing compound, I prefer 3M PerfectIt, works great on windows for water spots. i detailed a lot of cars for almost a year and a half.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had HORRRRIBLE hard water spots on my car when I got it. I used 000 Steel wool & rubbing compound (should be able to get it @ kragen, etc.) and a lot of elbow grease. I rubbed in circles and then wiped it off, worked like a charm!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had some hard water spots all over my car including the windows and a buddy of mine who does mobile detailing used some sort of acid to remove the spots. After, he rinsed it off thoroughly and proceeded to wax and polish the car. Worked great.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I use this stuff called Spot X, get a wet sponge and put some on it scrub with the yellow soft side then rinse. my old lady uses it for the show and bath. it wont leave scratches or anything so dont worry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts