Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that some of the gaskets used to come with washers and now they dont. I didn't get any washers like the ones pictured on the hondata website. A friend from the shop called Hondata, and they said that washers were not needed. For those here that installed the heatshield aka $60 piece of plastic, did you use the washers? Does anyone know why they used to include them but don't anymore?

Also, OMG the stock gasket is a PITA to remove. The guy working on my car had to remove the studs just to get all of it off. It took almost 2 hrs.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
No the washers aren't necessary since generally they squish and are pressed out of the way when torqued down. My gasket removal took around 5-6 hours and I had to use a 1/8" tip chizel to get around the bolts best I could. By the end I was so high on gasket remover and sick of doing it I just hope I removed all the original gasket. :D Did your installer port match the gasket to the head? I had to grind down my gasket in a few areas to match it up to my head.

·
Registered
973 Posts
notice any gains? what did they charge for install? i was quoted $250.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Did the gasket have the egr hole already drilled? I was told that's the only way they come now. If yours didn't... where did you order yours from?

·
Tein is your Friend
470 Posts
Hondata no longer supplies the washers with the gaskets any more. If you really want the washers you can get them for $.60 a piece at HomeDepot or a Lowes. I don't think they are really needed though.

·
`\ (^_^) /`
1,732 Posts
when i got my gasket about 3 months ago, the egr hole was not drilled in it, but it did not come with gaskets either. there was a sticker however on the packaging that gave a warning.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Girl n-a Lude said:
when i got my gasket about 3 months ago, the egr hole was not drilled in it, but it did not come with gaskets either. there was a sticker however on the packaging that gave a warning.
I had just ordered one last week and it arrived w/ the hole drilled, so I'm returning it(I figured it was used, it also didn't come in any packaging). I wonder if the guy at KS Motorsports knew what he's talking about . He did mention though that they aren't coming with the washers anymore. I'll have to call Hondata to see if they've changed things in the last couple of months.

thanks

·
Tein is your Friend
470 Posts
I have one of the original ones that came in the package with the washers. But, then again I bought mine in September of last year. I believe they changed a lot on the gaskets since then.

·
Registered
169 Posts
LuDeGirL1004 said:

This is what the gasket looked like when I got it...no packaging or anything else came with it:
Exactly! I guess they are coming with the hole drilled now. I bought one last year and it wasn't drilled out... it didn't even have any guide for the cut-out.

·
Budonkadonk!
238 Posts
did any of you guys that have driven with it installed noticed anything? i didn't think that by decreasing the temperature of the IM you would gain more than 1 hp, but who knows maybe it does make a significant difference.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Basic rule of thumb is every 10 degrees = 1 hp. But you're also removing uncombustable gas from the intake air charge if you block the EGR. On DR's car they gained 6 whp w/ the gasket in place.

I bought my gasket in Jan this year, it had a sharpie mark of where to drill the hole but that's it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
shouldnt you block off the fast idle thermo valve if you install this since that is going to run the warm coolent under your TB

·
Registered
748 Posts
I talked with a Hondata dealer in the KC area yesterday (I finally got ahold of one). He said that he no longer uses the washers on the K series because he was having sensor problems (possibly grounding), that went away when the washers were removed. I'm not sure if the H22 has the same problem though. I don't see why he couldn't just use a grounding strap for the manifold if that was the problem.
Oh, and for the IM gasket, Honda accutally uses that type thru-out the engine. I found that "Aircraft Remover" will lossen about 90% of it with in 20minutes. If you look in the automotive paints section at Walmart you should be able to find it, after its soaks for a while the gasket scrapes right off for the most part.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts