Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
--renovation--
1,061 Posts
I can't believe all you guys that worry about getting the right oil filter. Jeez, it's an OIL FILTER people! You don't need the damn OEM Honda Filter...good lord.

·
Registered
571 Posts
When I ordered from BC Honda, I got 2 different filters. Too lazy to look up what was which.

I wouldn't worry so much if you did regular oil changes, how bad can they be.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

The filter element is somewhat "fuzzier" than any of the Bosch, STP, or M1 units, though not as much as the Honda (US-made) media. I'm not sure how much this might deteriorate over time. The poor sealing of the plastic bypass would likely result in some continual bypass, and after only a few minutes of playing with the valve I was able to get it to stick open. This bypass design would appear to be very poor. My primary concern with this filter are the cardboard end caps- I would be suspicious that the cardboard would deteriorate over time and may come loose, especially considering that the cardboard is in the way (partially) of the oil flow. I would be particularly concerned about this in a racing environment where higher pressures are common.
Also, this valve is of the same design as the "Extra Gaurd" above, with the same flaws. This filter would logically provide better filtering due to increased thickness and surface area, though the thicker material may only result in more leakage through the poor sealing of the bypass valve.

·
one day...
794 Posts
when were Honda OEM filters first made by FRAM? I didnt know this was the case and i've heard countless people say that FRAM oil filters are a bad idea, especially with vtec engines due to the oil pressures.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Anyone use the jade green "JDM" oil filters sold on e-bay? I think maybe Spoon makes them, but I'm not sure.

J

·
grrrrrrr
1,574 Posts
I think this is getting blown out of proportion. If you race a lot or abuse your engine you may want to upgrade but for average driving I wouldn't worry about it. Think about it - Honda engines last forever on the stock, "crappy" fram filters or whatever else they use right? So don't freak about it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
what about these nippon filters on Ebay? i cant find them on the review

·
Registered
960 Posts
FRAM:nono:

Alot of people like Napa, I would use only their gold series.
I personally like the OEM filters but I cant tell if they are made by fram or not? I know the green ones are supposed to be really good, but at the same time really expensive. I have used the fram tough series before but the OEM ones I buy from honda seem better, but I haven't cut them in half to see the inside though. In a near stock engine the oil and filter aren't as big as concern as some make(me included), but in a modified engine like
the people who are kickin 180+WHP with higher compression
or the FI peoples runnin boost it can make a huge difference in how the engine operates, due to lower friction and operating temps, as well as being able to do the job under high oil pressure at 7,500 RPM and up;)

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
no, napa sells their own filters. they have "gold" and "silver" type filters to choose from

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what i have always heard is about the bypass leaking on the FRAM, basically causing oil to go through your motor without being filtered at all.
WIX is what i use now, my oil actually seems to stay clearer longer now that I use WIX insead of FRAM

·
Registered
973 Posts
the oem filters that say "made in canada" are fram. i have been using these filters for quite sometime and the shop that did my swap uses oem filters on all their cars. if it was such a ****ty filter do you really think honda would put it on it's cars and then warranty it if it fails.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts