Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reference threads here and here.

Does it work? In a word, yes.

I did several 100mph+ runs on the freeway, then I did the install.
After the lip was on, I did a few more 100mph+ runs and the car felt like it was sticking to the ground more. Alot more. Much more stable at high speed than before. I dont know about keeping the engine cooler, but I suspect it does given how well it works as an air dam.

I started by laying the lawn edging in the sun for a few hours to get it softer.
I removed the stock lip, then I used some #8 3/4" phillips head wood screws and some #8 washers to attach the edging/lip to the bottom of the bumper.

I used alot of screws.

After this pic, I added more. In total I used between 40 and 50 screws.

The finished product doesnt look that bad.

To keep the edges near the tire tucked in, I used some stiff wire and some eyelet connectors.

It hangs about the same height as the stock mudflaps.

I have KYB AGX's and H&R sports on stock tires and wheels.
It scapes on most driveways, and some speedbumps, but well woth it IMO.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I still cannot believe you people are doing this, lol.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i like it, but i guess i am biased huh?

BTW, what does a "real lip" mean? does it mean a added peice to your front bumper to help with handling issues at high speed, or does it mean that if you have to spend $500 on it to make it real......hmmmmm? do you think thats air your breathing now?

·
Registered
337 Posts
oh yea, i would lose that wire on the ends, i didnt use it and mine is fine. i think the wire looks a bit tacky. its stable enough to stay on without that. ive done 120+ with no problems. plus i kinda dig how it flares out without it. heh. good work man! im going to get pictures of our cars and sell this stuff on ebay. hahaha.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Absolut said:
Function > Form
I agree but man, that is ghetto in my book. I would have no choice but to laugh if I saw a lude like that on the street.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I think if it wasn't gardening material, people wouldn't think it was soo ghetto. Like lets say the dude made it out of carbon fiber or something....

For part at the edges, I would try to cut out some peices and 'wrap' it around the metal wire, so like u can't see behind it

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bet if I made a lip out of some aluminum and told people it cost lot of money, they would all want one. :rolleyes:

It would work just the same, be just as easy to install, just a little more expensive and not as durable. :shrug:

Hmmm... they carry sheet, rolled aluminum at Home Depot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
IMO I think its tacky.

The lip has NO shape at all. Its just there. It looks "home made" big time. Something I would see guys rolling around in the ghetto part of my area in an 87 Corolla or old school maxima.

This is just my opinion, i would remove it asap.

·
Small Town Hick
1,042 Posts
I give it props.

I had a friend back in the day, when mini trucks were cool and they had a cab high wing on the back of them, he was trying to make his own. He took 1*6 boards and a lot of bondo. It looked good but the wind would cause the wood to shake cracking the bondo. I told him one day, "if you pull it off you da man, if you get caught you're a red-neck".

put a preludeonline.com sticker in the middle of the lip now.:D

·
Registered
608 Posts
I though about doing thei about 4 years ago when I had to edge out a part of my garden after I bought my house. I nice to see somebody followed through with it.

After I had a bit of a lawn cutting excursion last Friday at Shannoville I think I'm going to do this for "track" the with a spare bumper now.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts