Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dunno if it's oxygenated gas, wear and tear, or just atmospheric phenomena, but it seems like my lude is running a bit slower these days. it's a 2000 sh with 15,000 miles. i did a lot of 1/4 runs about 3-6 months ago, and was running high 14s or low 15s with 60mph times of 6.5-6.7 seconds... i did a couple quick 0-60 runs tonight and got 7.0 consistently.
pretty significant difference. maybe my clutch is weakened from abuse. i changed the oil pretty recently; the air filter is a bit dirty but not too bad.
do cars lose a bit of speed after they really pass break-in? are they still oxygenating gas in CA? hmmmm

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Could be as simple as the gas.

Have you changed your spark plugs?

How about your air filter?

A lot of little things can cause this.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true, but a car is pretty well broken in by 10,000 miles, i'm sure. is it downhill from there?

as for the others, it may be the gas; i haven't ever changed the spark plugs. should i? didn't realize they changed over time that much...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
if anything, your car should be faster after the break-in period....</font>

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
My car never went downhill performance wise, if anything the H22A gets better with miles, as long as it is maintained properly.

Go ahead and change the plugs...it won't hurt and it will more than likely help.

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited March 28, 2001).]

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any other suggestions?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Hahaha..maybe you gained some weight and it's weighin down the car? hahaha.. thanks for the info on the place to weigh my car though...hope you find a solution.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by preludepower99:
sometimes when my car is dirty, i think it is slower. so maybe you should wash ur car.</font>
I think my car's faster when it's dirty.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maybe that's the problem! i cleaned and waxed it last weekend!

actually, it seems like ever since i went to tahoe it's been a bit sluggish. i wonder if the ecu takes a while to reset after high altitude?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pter:
I think my car's faster when it's dirty.

</font>

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
maybe it's because she knows you've been looking at other cars?

Or maybe you're being too sensitive about it? Could be... happened to me. I was all worried about what seemed to me was excessive flexing in my car, but today, I had other things on my mind, and didn't notice it at all.

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Have you checked those spark plugs yet???

·
Registered
433 Posts
well after time I would think the car would get slower no matter what..the car doesn't maintain that HIGH compression and detererates after time meaning you're losing a little horse. Well I forgot who did the test but I read an article on the lude. they bought it new and at 600 miles were draggin it. It ran a 6.8 and a 15.4 1/4 mile w/ top speed of 140mph. they drove it cross country and dragged it again and could not get the 6.8 again..they were hitting 7.0. also they were hitting the same 15.4 1/4 mile time w/ a top speed of 145mph. That could also be due to a dirty air filter..dah dah dah from the trip.

[This message has been edited by lOOkatme (edited March 30, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Well, before I started to modify my car it had close to 100K miles already. It could run high 14's.

Just keep the car maintained properly and it will run as it should.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts