Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I've been hearing this metal rattling noise in my car ever since summer, and i only hear for a few seconds right after i take my foot of the throttle. I've always thought that it was my exhaust pipes rattling against hte heat shield, but yesterday while checking under the hood to listen to how loud my valves are ticking (very loud i must say) i noticed it actually was coming from the block!! It only happens when i suddenly take my foot of the gas, and sometimes when keeping a very low, steady, rpm. Its a rattling, clanking, grinding type noise sorta like someone has a cup with a marble in it and shakes it up. Any one have any idea what the heck this is???

·
0 Posts
It's the timing belt autotensioner. Seen it twice already. Replace it yourself, or have someone do it for you (and do the timing belt and water pump at the same time).

The part costs between $120 to $170 depending on where you buy it. Labor varies.

Go have it checked out, but tell them to look at the tensioner.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darn, my car only has 30k miles on it too. Do you have any idea if this should be covered under my warranty??? I guess i'll havbe it checked out when i get my maintenance in about a week or so

Oh, and is there any damage being caused by this??? Its been like this for about roughly 8k miles.

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeshlude:
Darn, my car only has 30k miles on it too. Do you have any idea if this should be covered under my warranty??? I guess i'll havbe it checked out when i get my maintenance in about a week or so

Oh, and is there any damage being caused by this??? Its been like this for about roughly 8k miles.
</font>
No damage will occur until the timing belt breaks or slips.

Are you still under waranty? It should be covered as it is not normal wear and tear.

What year model is your Prelude?

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i just experience this tonight driving home..while idling it made that sound but under throttle, it went away. Time to go check it out further.

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I beleive my car is still covered, i need to go fish the warranty info out of my cluttered glovebox to make sure though.

And i have a 99 SH.

Hmm....wonder if my dealer will try to push it off as a result of my mods.....
That reminds me....i need to remember my mileage when i bring it in to them. The last time i brought it in for 15k maintenance they went joyriding and i didn't notice till i got home.

·
0 Posts
I beleive my car is still covered, i need to go fish the warranty info out of my cluttered glovebox to make sure though.

And i have a 99 SH.

Hmm....wonder if my dealer will try to push it off as a result of my mods.....
That reminds me....i need to remember my mileage when i bring it in to them. The last time i brought it in for 15k maintenance they went joyriding and i didn't notice till i got home.
</font>
You should be covered. Honda's standard waranty is 3/36. If they don't cover it, pitch a fit, pay for it, then call Honda's regional office. If you explain it to them, they will probably reimburse you. They did that when I complained about my CV joint boots on my old Civic being torn when the car had only 38k miles. Saved me $350!

Let us know how it turns out. I would like to know if it is indeed the autotensioner (really sounds like it is).

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dka:
i just experience this tonight driving home..while idling it made that sound but under throttle, it went away. Time to go check it out further.</font>
That's probably not the autotensioner. The autotensioner doesn't make any sound at idle, but it makes a rattling sound when the engine is reving down.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Billy, the rattling is getting louder as the days go on now. At least i now have an idea of what it could be.

I remember when my cv boots were torn and i tried to get it fixed. I couldn't find my stock suspension in time to swap it back in so they wouldn't fix it since it was lowered so much.

I'll keep you posted once it gets done (hopefully before the end of this month).

[This message has been edited by typeshlude (edited April 07, 2001).]

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Oh, and is there any damage being caused by this??? Its been like this for about roughly 8k miles.</font>
You waited 8000 miles before finally doing anything about it?!?!?

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
431 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
That's probably not the autotensioner. The autotensioner doesn't make any sound at idle, but it makes a rattling sound when the engine is reving down.

</font>
Yeah, I would think this is valve related. I had the same ticking sound when idle, so I did a valve adjustment and it is gone.

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, i didn't wait 8k miles before doing anything. It took 8k miles before i actually noticed the noise was coming from the block. The whole time i thought it was my exhaust pipes rattling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
if any of you had yer suspension done recently, get yer brake calipers checked if there s knocking noise. lol, my friend thought it was his tranny or sumthign big, cuz there was a banging when he was going slow or tapped on the brakes. i dunno, just a suggestion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts