Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have an HKS air intake on a 5th gen? Are they any good? Like a noticeable power increase and nicer noise? I can get one for A$380 in Melbourne, Australia. I can't find anybody in Melbourne who sells AEM.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TurboFourLude:
If you pay shipping I'll send ya one :-D</font>
in that case, i want one too!! just shipping right?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
o0OO0o's got a good point.</font>

·
Registered
997 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TooterFish:
Ill sell you an AEM for 230 + shipping. It comes with my special TooterFish polish (i rub it with my ass). and ill put a custom bypass valve on it with my P228 (my pistol).</font>
Err ok...wise ass.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
ok, back on topic, is the HKS intake the one with the green mushroom foam filter?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
BEECH! :D Your a corrupt mod I tell ya! :D ........You're my hero :D</font>

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
ok, back on topic, is the HKS intake the one with the green mushroom foam filter?

</font>
you are correct sir, i think that you can get them with different cage and filter colors. i've heard or read some things about the foam filter though. since it is made of foam, it cannot be cleaned, it needs to be replaced at certain intervals. around the same time you do an oil change for example.

i wonder how the foam reacts to the underhood temps. does it melt? i'm guessing it doesn't otherwise why would they use foam.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
(Base 5 sp)
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

[This message has been edited by BlueShadow (edited April 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
since the HKS intake would be sucking in under-the-hood hot air, i really doubt it will be better than any other *filter on a stick* kind... you might be better off having a K&N filter since you can keep it forever...

since you can't find any dealers that has AEM, do they import ICEMAN?

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Yup. I think you can put it right on the end of the stock tube. (in place of the stock airbox).

ILoveMyLude -- I think you'd be best off getting an AEM. Even having one sent to Oz might be your best bet. The HKS filter is not a bad setup, but I think you can acheive a bit more power going a different route. The HKS system works great on the end of a turbo, which is what HKS is widely known for.

From what I'm figuring, you could pay $193 ($380 AUD) for the HKS, or $181 ($356 AUD) for any color AEM cold air intake. You would however have to pay to have the AEM shipped to you from the states. I can't imagine it costing too much to have it shipped. The most I can see this costing, is about $250 ($492 AUD), allowing $69 ($136 AUD) for shipping, which is a lot.

That price for the AEM is good until May 1st from "Auto Image Enhancement" on the group buy center. Here's your link:

http://www.groupbuycenter.com/buy.asp?row_id=2251

Hope that helps you out

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
I've got one on my 4g and it gave me 4 hp and a gorgeous sound so I'd recommend one any day.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Speaking of HKS filter, can anybody comment on this statement (taken out of the JRSC installation instruction manual):

"Always use good quality air filters. We do not recommend HKS Power Flow or Greddy Air filters as their foam pulls away from its seat and allows large amounts of dirt into your engine and supercharger."

Maybe they just have a thing against HKS...*shrug*

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dont know. Maybe the intake sucks the foam kind of into itself and pulls up on the edges? How about someone with the intake go out and look at the intake while its at WOT.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
Speaking of HKS filter, can anybody comment on this statement (taken out of the JRSC installation instruction manual):

"Always use good quality air filters. We do not recommend HKS Power Flow or Greddy Air filters as their foam pulls away from its seat and allows large amounts of dirt into your engine and supercharger."

Maybe they just have a thing against HKS...*shrug*

</font>

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
HKS filter is more free flow then K&N, I suppose the best intake would be AEM or Iceman with the HKS filter instead of the K&N.

As a side note: HKS has came up with a racing suction kit for CTR, it's bascially a cold air intake design with the HKS filter, it produces 18hp at the flywheel (according to a japanese magazine)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts