Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if there is any company (or maybe even a universal one) that makes a hitch for our cars to tow (yeah, I know... seems a bit ghetto. =P) a trailer of sort? Since I am probally going to move to So-cal for fall for school and want to know what kind of options that I have when I move. This would be like a one way thing down the 300 miles of Hwy-5.

~Doug

G

·
UHaul makes a good one. I use it for my tire trailer. I tow a small 4 x 4 trailer with 12" wheels. I probably tow a good 400 to 500 lbs. That's 4 tires, a big tool box, two foldable chairs, and whatever else I can stuff into my big ass box that's bolted to the trailer.

Anyway, I bought a UHaul hitch for about $100. Works quite well. You will have to splice the connector into the wiring, but luckily, the Prelude has a connector for a trailer behind one of the brake lights!!

I actually modified the UHaul a bit and made it removable, as I hate the way it looks on the car. I can actually remove or install it in about 10 minutes. Dalan makes a hitch for the Prelude as well, but it's difficult to remove it after it's installed.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billy! Though I have a few questions...

1) What do you mean I'll have to splice the connector into the wiring? I'm just going by what you said about the Prelude already having a connector and I'm guessing the U-Haul will come prewired as well?

2) How hard is it to convert the U-Haul mount? Would it be something that I would be able to figure out on my own? (You've already done enough writeups for us.. =P)

TIA!
~Doug

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TimeRacer:
- snip -
1) What do you mean I'll have to splice the connector into the wiring? I'm just going by what you said about the Prelude already having a connector and I'm guessing the U-Haul will come prewired as well?
</font>
There are no "plug and play" wiring kits for the Prelude. You'l have to buy a "converter" that takes discrete taillights & signals and converts them to the taillight/brake/lights that the trailer needs. There is a plug provided by Honda, tucked away behind the trunk liner near the lights, that no one makes an adapter for. You'll need to cut this off and wire it in yourself. The factory service manual has the wiring diagram in it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
2) How hard is it to convert the U-Haul mount? Would it be something that I would be able to figure out on my own? (You've already done enough writeups for us.. =P)
Convert? There's nothing to convert- you drill two holes in the bumper and you're done. The Dalan requires more holes to be drilled, 6 I think ,in the unit body. That's the one I have. I think it's more secure and looks better on the car, though Billy's right, it's harder to remove. The Dalan is also $30 or so less than the Uhaul if I remember.

G

·
I just welded blind nuts onto a 3/16" steel plate that I put beind the bumper so that I can bolt the hitch up to it. Without the blind nuts, you would have to get a wrench up there, which is quite difficult. If you get the UHaul hitch, you will see what I am talking about.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 5 of 5 Posts