Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I will be running a GReddy header to "the cat of choice" and out an A'PEXi RS exhaust (60 mm, which is 2.36 inch).
So I am going to want a 2.5 inch cat. No I will not run a test pipe . My only choices other than a Random Tech cat, which are made to each application and cost over $200. So my only other choices are ALL UNIVERSAL cats correct? If not let me know! Ones I hear recommended commonly are the Car sound, catco, and Jegs (dynomax).

What am I going to need to do to get these to fit right? How tough will it be? Do I need to weld flanges onto the universal cat? What about the issue of an inconsistant exhaust diameter flow. It would be going from a 2'' collector to a 2.5'' cat, then to a 2.36'' exhaust, how does this all hook up smoothly?

Thanks

------------------
95 Prelude VTEC

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
call random tech or lightningmotorsports to see about the applications. I have a 5gen random tech cat...supposedly the same cat used for the 96 prelude simply cuz it has a bung for the secondary O2 sensor. I'm thinking this would be the same size if you ordered a RC one. The flanges are 2 inches front and back to fit the stock setup. I think you should be all right, cuz if you could fit the stock cat on, then the RC one should fit too.

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
JR also makes one for our cars, check it out at their site.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me clarify what I am asking more... I know RT makes cats per application, BUT I do NOT want one. I want to get one of the sub $100 cats that from my understanding are "universal" so modification would be needed to fit it right. So basically I want to know what you need to do to fit these universal 2.5'' cats onto my setup.

Pure Lude: is the carsound cat made to fit already? like do they make cats for different models like Random Tech..or is it another universal one? Thanks

------------------
95 Prelude VTEC

[This message has been edited by H22Apowered (edited April 17, 2001).]

·
another SS->5spd!
1,373 Posts
Opps! JR doesn't make one for Prelude, forget what i said.

·
Registered
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by H22Apowered:
So basically I want to know what you need to do to fit these universal 2.5'' cats onto my setup. </font>
Usually universal cats don't come with flanges. So you'd need to have an exhaust shop weld some flanges on the cat.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Pure Lude: is the carsound cat made to fit already? like do they make cats for different models like Random Tech..or is it another universal one? Thanks

[/B]</font>

they are not made to fit. any muffler shop can do them. cost me $125 for everything.

Tim

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
FOr those of you with hi-flow cats on 5gens. Did it make a difference? I was thinking about getting one but I've heard it doesn't do much. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts