Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if Spoon makes a test pipe or high flow cat for my 99 Lude.
Also anyone know what I have to do to keep the Check Engine light off?
Which do you guys recommend, test pipe or high flow cat.
Also anybody know of the gains between the two compared to just keeping your cat in.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
U have a 99 (OBDII) which means u will need a cat, the TP will definitely trigger the CE light. I believe Spoon has or will have a cat for the Lude, but u could also chk other brands for cats.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've gone down this road before...OBD2 as was mentioned earlier, will prevent you from having a cat...unless you install that 10M Ohm resistor into the circuit, but no one knows if it really works. Do not bother getting a high flow cat...Spoon's cat is nothing more than a resonator pipe and i have the one from Random Technology...it's more restrictive than stock IMO. One alternative is to convert your ecu to OBD1 using a 93-95 prelude vtec ecu or a reprogrammed teg gsr one. The conversion will set you back at least $1k, but it also improves overall performance. Keep the cat, it's really expensive..about $500 new, i paid about $200 for my high flow. Besides, a catless exhaust is really smelly and terrible for your health as well as the environment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys!
So if I do the OBD1 Conversion and get a test pipe will I still have to wire in that resistor thingy????
If I don't wire it in will i get the check engine light with the obd1 conv???
Do you guys think its worth the money to get a test pipe????

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlkLude:
Thanks for the info guys!
So if I do the OBD1 Conversion and get a test pipe will I still have to wire in that resistor thingy????
If I don't wire it in will i get the check engine light with the obd1 conv???
Do you guys think its worth the money to get a test pipe????
</font>
no you will not have to install the 10 ohm resistor with obd 1. If you have the obd1 conversion done, it will provide enough gains to the point where you could go without a testpipe. I've been the passenger in a couple test-pipe equipped hondas and felt sick within a couple minutes due to the fumes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can run a test pipe on a 5th gen. Just use the resistor for the check engine light. I know for sure that it works. I've done it on my car, as well as my friends.

------------------
-sun
http://students.washington.edu/sunn

·
0 Posts
Hopefully soon, John at HiTech will have stainless test pipes for the 5Gen. I am not sure when he will be done, but I have been working with him on it.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 9 of 9 Posts