Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 6000K kit from misterjung.com and had some questions.

1---How does an HID kit compare to bulbs such as Silverstars or Xenon bulbs from Pep Boys? Is it a no comparison in terms of brightness, etc.?

2---I am assuming that a single HID kit is the low-beams alone, correct? Not the high-beams?

3---Am I going to need my high beams with an HID kit?

4---How tough is the HID kit to install? How long does it take, etc.?

5---How long will one HID kit last, roughly? Over a year or 2 years or what?

Just trying to learn more about HIDs, thanks guys.

·
I'm back!
1,161 Posts
1. Regular stock bulbs, Silverstar bulbs do not compare to the light output HID's are capable of.

2. No comparison at all!

3. Yes, they are low beams, unless you are going to a Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit.

4. Nope

5. It will outlast the life of your car!

·
I'm back!
1,161 Posts
Oops, i think I missed one question, 4.
It's easy to install, just know simple electronics such as positive and negative............and you should be fine!

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
1. The look of almost any HID kit will make your stock/aftermarket Halogen bulbs look like worthless crap.

2. Low beams only

3. Stock High beams are just fine....you will most likely never use them after the HID upgrade.

4. The install of that MisterJung kit should be a bit more of an install than others basically because you will have to make a holder to keep the bulbs in place. Also...your playing around with $100 light bulbs that one touch could break.

5. If they are true OEM quality the bulbs and ballasts should outlast the life of your lude and whatever car you have next.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
what color is the 6K and hows the kit from that site??? any modificiation required? price? anything else needed?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
6000K is a bit more of a bluish than the 5200K, from what I understand at least.

Thanks for the answers guys, appreciate it.

I know that you cannot touch the bulbs. I am fully aware of this.

From misterjung.com I have to find a way to keep the bulbs in place? Damn this sounds pretty friggin' tough. HELP!

·
Dave
1,468 Posts

I have seen 10,000k in person, but I have yet to see 12k. IMO thats whats gonna get HIDs banned from road use. That is the biggest BS ever. The kit itself looks alright for the price...its just the fact that they produce a kit that is rated at 12k that worries me.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
im really liking the 6 and 9K

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Well dont get me wrong, I love the color of HID light. Everyone who has them does....anyone that says they spent $500 some dollars on lights just for better vision at night is crazy. I mean how can you say that the 9000k above doesnt look good? Its just that it looks TOO good and doesnt do what HID's are made to do...light up the road. Anyhow...Monstar about those two kits...a few friends of mine have the Misterjungs kit...they are very happy and the quailty seems to be on point. The ballasts are really kick ass Hella units. Not to sure about the bulbs...but they look good and the beam pattern is really nice.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I feel like I have heard good things about both, misterjung.com and the other.

At this point I have NO IDEA which I plan on going with, but I feel like for some strange reason proxenon.com seems a TAD bit more reputable. And if for some reason I had a problem they would refund my money.

Bottom line is that I want extremely BRIGHT WHITE headlights, with a hint of blue.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Either way you go keep us updated, I'll be getting HID's soon and would like to know how your install and finished product came out

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone have any tips when it comes to installation. I know that the kit from proxenon.com has both ballasts and ignitors that I have to find a place to put.

Also, from what I have heard---the supplied adhesive isnt all that great, so is there anything that you guys recommend?

I mean honestly from what I have read the installation seems to be pretty damn easy. The only thing that seems to be a b*tch is modifying the white headlight housing.

And I am still a little confused about the tool that I am supposed to use, etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm the author of that Bohmen HID installation and I used a Dremel tool to hollow the bulb adapter out. In case you don't know what a Dremel is, it's a high-speed rotary tool (like a larger scale dentist's drill) that you can fit a variety of bits into for different kinds of cuts. I used the "ball" type of file bit. I also used a round bastard file to finish it out to make it look nice and smooth.

It's true that the adhesive pads supplied with the Bohmen kit aren't quite up to the task. They are very thin and will work best on perfectly flat surfaces (of which there are very few under the hood od a Prelude). I substituted industrial strength Velcro with water-proof adhesive and that works great! You also have the flexibility of being able to remove and replace the ballast if you wanted to.

The overall install is very easy. If you aren't as anal about where the ballasts and igniters are placed as I was, it can be done in less than an hour.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright thanks clean_green really appreciate it man. I am still a bit confused about how to clear out the bulb adapter. Maybe you can explain this to me a little bit better. First of all, how much is the Dremel tool or whatever? And how tough is it to hollow the thing out? Is there any way to get around this at all?

I will definitely look into some velcro adhesive and see if I can work something out with that. Yeah I dont care much where the ballasts and ignitors go as long as theyre not blantently in the way of something else.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts