Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Jim once again! I feel I am in need of a new clutch. I do not know when or even if I plan on racing my Prelude. Would everybody recommend me just going with the stock clutch? Upgrading my clutch to a better brand (like ACT) would be nice, but would it be a waste of my money if I do not plan on racing it around, at least not for awhile? All of you are so knowledgeable and I always appreciate your responses! Stock clutch, or performance? Let Jim know! Thank you so much!

Jim

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
You can't go wrong with an ACT clutch, even if you do no racing then it will outperform the stock clutch on the street by giving better clamping power allowing you to drive hard for longer periods of time.
The setup I have in mine is the HA3 HD-SS
I'm pleased with it.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
a new clutch installed will run you about $350 from the dealer..(stock clutch btw) So if you can get an ACT streetable clutch + installation for around $350...that would be a good way to go

[This message has been edited by dka (edited April 22, 2001).]

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim from CA:
Thank you U.K. VTEC. Do you race your car?</font>
Not seriously, just on the street....when it's safe, of course

But I needed a new clutch, heard good things about ACT and the rest is history......
Have a look at www.advancedclutch.com

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dka:
a new clutch installed will run you about $350 from the dealer..(stock clutch btw) So if you can get an ACT streetable clutch + installation for around $350...that would be a good way to go</font>

$350 with install??? Are you talking about the clutch disc alone or with the PP and throwout bearing? The ACT unit alone is $300-350, including PP, disc and Honda bearing.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vabeach_lude:
the stock clutch lasts around 75k miles right?

how long would an act clutch last?
</font>
Hell, the stock clutch on my old 90 Accord (which my sister now drives) is still in the damn thing, and its got 180,000 on it

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks
. Is there anybody that would not suggest I get an ACT clutch? I believe there are many different setups to get with an ACT clutch...which would be the best for me? How much would the total cost be? You are are so helpful...of course...more help is absolutely appreciated!!!

Jim

·
Registered
149 Posts
yah...u cannot get a clutch + installation for $350. Hell, installation alone would cost about $350 (probably more).

anyways, if you are not racing, the only setup to go with would be HDSS. That means the Heavy Duty Pressure Plate and the Street Disc.

If you check out www.groupbuycenter.com now, they have 25% off listprice for all ACT products.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it would be the HA3-HDSS

The PP is H-013
The clutch disc is HSD806S
The release bearing is RB817
The alignment tool is AT58 (u will probably not need this if you are bringing it in for a professional install)

the new preludes do not require a pilot bearing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello DNA_Cyan!

Thank you very much.
I am sorry I will ask only one more question! the HA3-HDSS includes all of those pieces? And I think I will need that alignment tool, I will be installing it myself with a few other buddies. Money is pretty tight...nice to save on installation! Does any others out there feel it is pointless for me to upgrade my clutch? Alsok, how much stiffer and harder to push is the pedal? I thank you all in advance

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
If you want longevity nothing, IMHO, will outlast a stock clutch.

If you want better holding power an after market clutch like ACT or Clutch Masters would be the way to go.

I have been pleased with the CM stage 3 so far, and it ran around $371 with a discount for the clutch and pressure plate.

I also went with a CM 10 lb. flywheel to increase the throttle response and rev quicker. That cost another $377 with a discount.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts