Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
High Roller
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guyz i just did alot of searching about spark plugs so i got a set of the ngk ZFR7F plugs and im noticing that under normal acceleration(not under boost) that i am getting alot of hesitation , ((the car feels like its slightly jerking back n forth up hills etc..))
also at idle im getting some bassy booms out of the exhaust.....
is this normal ? any input on this would be appreciated.
any ideas ?? thanks !

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
this sound awful lot like my problem. i just installed ngk laser platinums pzfr6f-11 and neuspped wires on my stock (except aem cai) engine. it seems to jerk or slightly miss, sorta putts. and everynow and then at idle i heara little boom type of thing like you are talking about. only does it under light load like starting up from an idle. maybe the1200-2500 rpm range. it doesn't do it everytime. grrr! i hope you find your problem, maybe it will help me too.

·
High Roller
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im thinking its the plugs, cuz it didnt really do it b4 the new plugs.
I mean it would do it sometimes if the engine wasnt warm yet or it was a really hot day, but now with these plugs it does it every day.
but what i dont get is everyone seems to use the zfr7f plugs and nobody seems to have any trouble......so i dunno :confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
check your gap. If you're running a fairly rich mixture + boost and your gap is .040+ you should try reducing it to .033 - .035. See if that helps. I know that out of the box the zfr7f-11's are gapped to .040.

since the preludedude is running NA I would be surprised if his problem is gap related. Although it wouldn't hurt to reduce it to .036 to see if that helps, at very least your be reseating your wires in the process, which could also help.

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Thats why everyone says stick to stock plugs... they're more then sufficient for most applications.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i'm contemplating to put it back to the stocks plugs myself...

I've been having lot of trouble with the others..

who is running their sc with stock plugs?

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
What ones did you have trouble with? And what gap are you running on them? Plenty of people use ZRF7F. I was using BCPR7ES, which worked great in cold weather, but started giving me trouble in warm, so I switched R5672A-8 (non resistor copper race plug, 8 heat range) which has seemed to solve my problem. I run a gap of .028 for nonintercooled 9 psi. OEM plugs are platinum and heat range of 6, not good for a JRSC application, and I wouldn't recommend it for a turbo app either.

·
High Roller
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im just running the ZFR7F plugs with the gap they come. Should i try changing the gap some and see if it helps ?? what gap do you reccomend i try ??

·
High Roller
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok they were gapped at .030 so i changed em to the .033 that was reccomended, and so far it seems to be running a little smoother then b4, gonna test drive it a lil while longer n see for sure.

Also the tip of the spark plugs were a slight white color when i pulled them out, how bad is that ?? thanks guyz.

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
I have the same problem ... me and you seem to be on the same page with our problems. I have the boomy bassy sound (that i almost mistook for another car when i first heard it). I have the hesistation going on badly.

Once in a while when i go past 3000 rpms it bogs down like nutso (na) Anything over 1/3 throttle feels like its gonna choke. And it does it for a little bit and then it'll 'go away'. And i can rip through the gears like it was nothing. And then it comes back again. o_O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts