Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2000 non-SH with 107k miles

Hello everyone. I have a problem. The compression in one of my cylinders is so low that my car stalls when idling. I've up'ed the idle so it won't do that now. Anyway, the reason is that the piston rings are shot for one of my cylinders. My question, should I get it rebuilt, or get a replacement engine. If it requires a replacement engine, any suggestions on where to get one?

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
1. Do you trust a shop to rebuild the engine?
2. What is your budget?
3. If you do want another motor, can you afford the new motor + preventative maintenance + install?

If you buy a motor, I guess you could get by with this one and then drop in the new one once it's refurbed. Then you could sell the old motor.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i prefer rebuilding. that way you know what you are working with once it is built. but be ready to open a can of worms once you tear it down.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
^well the object is that you do that with the "new" engine. It's much easier to rebuild an engine when it's outside on a stand than remove yours and be on a timeframe (I'm assuming you don't have another car).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going with a replacement engine. A guy I work with has an uncle with a shop. they're going to put it in for me. I was able to find an engine from japan for about $1K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts