Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried a search but no luck. So I was getting ready to install my new AEM front brake pads and brembo blanks.....after removing caliper and inspecting the old pads it seems they have plenty of pad left compared to the new aem pad. my question is how much pad left til u need to replace the old pads and how do u know when u need to turn/replace old rotor? please help or point me in the right direction.....

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
The pads should be fine until they get really thin (ie. no pad left) and at that time they should start sqeaking alot (metal on metal). It is best if you replace them before that time (for safety reasons and so it doesn't cause abnormal wear to your rotors). You're probably safe to keep the old ones on until they're down to about 1/4" of pad.
As far as I know, the only reason to get your rotors turned is if they are badly worn (I'm not sure if having them turned will help if they are warped at all). I'm no expert, but I believe all that is done when turning the rotors is that a little of the rotor on either side is shaved so the surface is smooth, creating a better contact patch for the pads to grip the rotor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
much thanx

ye i figure that, just needed reassurance........prolly just run them both down, have the pads and rotors ready for install when time comes, thanx gain meng......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts