Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok you guys, what better way to get my point across besides a video? god bless digicams. now, i have made a video of my tb when i open throttle. listen to the sound on what the motor does. when i turn the throttle the rpm dips and then it like kicks in. if i open it just a little i can get the car to stall, especially at idle. the video is 3mb, and can be found here

www.michaelsphotoshop.com/prelude/probs/throttlesucks.wmv

i also just changed my timing, and i set it with a gun. i just wanna make sure that i was doing it right. i used the hatch on the fly and the 2 things on the side to line up in the middle, and that pic was a ***** to capture w/ the timing light.

look here:

what do you guys think? i tried adjusting my tps, but it seems to have no effect on this problem. i also tried hooking up a multimeter, but what wires do i hook it up to? i cant seem to get it to read right.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
then i didnt set my timing right? i have an inductive light i used to set the timing i got from the local autozone. i pointed the light into that hole and lined up those 2 things. i let the car down to idle then set it. was that right? could my rpm have been too high to set it? i did short the obd connector too btw.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just called clutchmasters, they told me the line is for top dead center.

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
Did you jump the service connector under the dash before setting the timing? It does seem to be having a hard time with the trottle "blip".

Good luck, hope you can figure it our.

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
Well unless you have a timing light with adjustable offset you didn't set the timing right at all. Stock flywheels have three other marks that are at 14, 16, and 18 degree BTDC. You have to line up these marks with the light to get proper timing. If the CM flywheel doesn't have these marks you will need to get a timing light with the adjustable timing advance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i did short the connector first. but i guess that explains it then.

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Before setting with the timing you have to make sure that your engine is warmed up. That means that the radiator fan has to come on 2 times. Your idle also has to be at whatever Honda specifies for your car. If your idle is wrong and you set your timing then you are not going to get the timing right. Don't belive me? Put the timing light on and rev the engine, you'll see the timing mark move around.

If the mark on the blue? fly wheel is TDC then you have to set it something like 16deg (for 3rd Gen) BTDC which means the mark should be towards the firewall by 16deg relative to the "2 things". Sucks that the fly wheel you've got on there doesn't have the mark for where the timing should be. From the pic, it seems that you have it set just a few deg BTDC.

There's probably someone here who has an aftermarket fly (I'm assuming its AF because of the blue colour).

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just because the timing light shows its firing at the right time doesn't mean that the timing belt is setup correct. It only means that the exhaust cam is set correctly. The intake cam could be still off, and show correct timing with the gun.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well u guys, i figured it out. it was my map sensor, one of the lines was pinched. shes smooth now, i jsut need to set the timing.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
tastyratz said:
well u guys, i figured it out. it was my map sensor, one of the lines was pinched. shes smooth now, i jsut need to set the timing.
Thats what you get for installin all that damn blue hose in there. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts