Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well folks, I'm having these odd RPMS issues.

I've got no idea what bad clutch symptoms are, but I've got a new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Everything with the car has generally been running fine.

Before I swapped the car to a manual I was occationally experiencing a loss of power at highway speeds. I assumed that this was the Automatic tranny on it's death bed. (The unit did have other issues - notably hard shifts from 3rd to 4th.)

It now appears that I've got another problem.

The symptoms are these:

- RPM fluctucation at highway speeds (loss of power or lowering of RPMS, raising up a few hundred RPMs)

- Engine cuts out / stalls inexplicably at lower RPM's just after starting. (Rough or no idle) [This is the latest development and I haven't been able to recreate it since yesturday.]

- When winding the car out to higher RPM's (beating on the car), the tachometer shows the RPM's bouncing all over the place. (Basically, slipping upwards).

- The ECU is throwing no codes.

I've replaced or checked the following:

- Repalced O2 Sensor (car threw code 61 - Primary O2 sensor solw to repond two weeks ago).
- Replaced Cap and Rotor
- Replaced Fuel Filter
- Replaced Ignition wires
- Replaced VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
- Adjusted the clutch pedal (Don't even know if it could cause symptoms like this.)

Additionally, I've noticed one other thing that's kinda odd. The car doesn't rev limit properly - Either cold rev limit, or stop at 7400 RPMS.

Does anyone have a clue as to what the hell is going on with my 5th Gen?

Gerhard

PS These are the previous 4 billion post on this subject:

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118416

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118520

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vapor said:
MAP sensor? EGR valve? Checked to see if your PCV valve rattles?
I checked the wiring on the MAP sensor... it's fine. The sensor itself I haven't checked.

PCV was ok the last time I checked... but I gather I can easily replace that.

EGR valve... nope, haven't checked that. Would it cause bizzare problems like this??

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bdb said:
Bleed radiator coolant?
I have recently replaced the radiator coolant.

I gather low coolant would cause idle fluctuation.... but at high RPMS??

I mean this sucker bounces all over the place at high RPMs. (Well, the tachometer does... I don't think the engine is though... I assume it would be obvious?)

Gerhard

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Gerhard said:

- When winding the car out to higher RPM's (beating on the car), the tachometer shows the RPM's bouncing all over the place. (Basically, slipping upwards).
Ok, I jsut saw that part. Have you checked your coil/ignitor? That's a common issue amongst CRX's, and it's the coil causing it 99% of the time. worth a shot.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Gerhard said:

EGR valve... nope, haven't checked that. Would it cause bizzare problems like this??
it could possibly cause idle issues if it were letting exhaust gas in at idle. it would lower the idle/run rough IIRC.

I still say check the coil. Pretty sure there are tests in the helm to see if it's bad, resistance across the terminals or something of that sort. But the problems you're describing are FREQUENT in the CRX community. Common enough that if someone says they have the "bouncing needle" issue, everyone knows what it is and what's causing it.

sucks real bad in those cars though, they use an internal coil, so you can either get a new distib. or switch to an MSD/coil setup. Do you have access to another person's coil? takes like 2 seconds to swap them. If you ever come down to an MDPC meet, someone will swap with you for testing purposes.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Help! Update: Odd RPM Fluctuations. 5th Gen.

Vapor said:

Ok, I jsut saw that part. Have you checked your coil/ignitor? That's a common issue amongst CRX's, and it's the coil causing it 99% of the time. worth a shot.
Actually, I have a spare one. I'll throw that in and see what happens.

Some guy got an MSD box right away and only used his stock ignition for about 20000 miles... I bought it off him for $10.00! (For a rainy day...) -grin-

Wouldn't that produce a code??

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Gerhard said:

I have recently replaced the radiator coolant.

I gather low coolant would cause idle fluctuation.... but at high RPMS??

I mean this sucker bounces all over the place at high RPMs. (Well, the tachometer does... I don't think the engine is though... I assume it would be obvious?)

Gerhard
You can't have any air in the system or you'll get some pretty unusual and nasty results. The water pump can't pump air at ANY rpm.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bdb said:

You can't have any air in the system or you'll get some pretty unusual and nasty results. The water pump can't pump air at ANY rpm.
I don't think it's air in the cooling system.

As the problem existed prior to the swap, the timing belt, and the previous coolant change.

Nuts... This is annoying.

Gerhard

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
What do your ears tell you? Does the sound the engine makes correspond to the RPM needle? Is the car jerky? If its just the RPM needle then maybe its the tacho?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Vapor said:
MAP sensor? EGR valve? Checked to see if your PCV valve rattles?

chad, wheres the PCV valve? something i'd like to take a look at and mess around with, i mean i cant possibly screw up my car anymore. :(

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
if you can swap out the MAP sensor for testing purposes give it a try....my dads cherokee had some weird idling problems and 1 or 2 of your symptoms and turned out to be the MAP sensor...its worth a shot

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
racinghonda said:
What do your ears tell you? Does the sound the engine makes correspond to the RPM needle? Is the car jerky? If its just the RPM needle then maybe its the tacho?
No jerking.

That's the odd thing when it's bouncing all over the place on the tachometer, the car isn't jerking then when you rev it up to the higher RPM's while shifting thru the gears.

The highway version is odd in that the bouncing is nothing like the shifting thru the RPM's. The car just jumps a few hundred RPMs (like it's slipping), and occationally has a loss of a few hundred RPM's... but the loss is felt (car jerks). Generally, at 3600-4000 RPM's at a consistant thottle.

Gerhard

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Might be a good idea to get your fuel pressure tested. Sounds like maybe your fuel pump cutting in and out?

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
racinghonda said:
Might be a good idea to get your fuel pressure tested. Sounds like maybe your fuel pump cutting in and out?
Well,

That's an interesting thought. I did swap out the fuel filter and ran the injector / top half cleaner through the car. This solved a bizzare knock problem I was having.

What if the problem was related to low fuel pressure to begin with??

I'm bringing the car in on Monday... 'cause I really don't knwo were to big to look.

It's not the ECU, because the car was doing it before the swap.

It's not the drive shafts, or the tranny (more than likely), or front end.

It's not any of the stuff I replaced.

It could be the fuel pump, or the injector controls, etc...

Nuts.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got together with the dealer this AM and found out what they think the problem is:

- Distributor Ignitor

- Distributor

- MAP sensor

In that order.

So they are replacing the distributor ignitor.

(Not cheap - $245.00)

Anyone every have a problem with the ignitor??

Gerhard

·
old dog w/new tricks
1,586 Posts
Only ignitor problem I ever had, the car would NOT even start. That was in the wife's old Accord, and I can guarantee you that I didn't pay that much for one, but then again they are probably far different.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts