Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know WTF happened, today I got off work and started the car, I noticed that the SRS light stays ON ! It never go away however I turn it off and back on .... What problem it might be??! MOTHAFUC#)(*$#@KING PIECE OF CRAP! I bought this used 97 lude and came with TONS OF TROUBLES! ANYONE can help me out!?

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mike2016:
I dont know WTF happened, today I got off work and started the car, I noticed that the SRS light stays ON ! It never go away however I turn it off and back on .... What problem it might be??! MOTHAFUC#)(*$#@KING PIECE OF CRAP! I bought this used 97 lude and came with TONS OF TROUBLES! ANYONE can help me out!?

</font>
I'd say check the fuse for the SRS system, then take it to a dealer if that's not it. The airbags (Safety Restraint System) are nothing to fool around with.

I thought most of your problems with your car were self-induced, like mucking up your guages trying to put the indiglos on?

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST NOT DRIVING THE VEHICLE. THERE IS THE DANGER OF THE AIR BAG DEPLOYING. HONDA WILL TOW IT FOR FREE TO A DEALERSHIP TO FIX THE PROBLEM. CALL UP YOUR LOCAL DEALER.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock) 15.4 @ 91
Visit the Prelude FAQ| jmcn.com

[This message has been edited by jmcn (edited May 03, 2001).]

G

·
jus tak it to the dealership iam sure honda still has it under warranty but they are gonna be *****es bout it soo jus let them know ur serious, all i think u need done is to reset the srs sensor mine had the same problem no biggie...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out the problem is "Increased Resistance in driver side aig bag inflator". That's what Helm's service manual says. I fixed the problem by erasing the SRS memory. now it seems just fine...

did Helm's manual save me a few hundred bucks? ;D

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
I found out the problem is "Increased Resistance in driver side aig bag inflator". That's what Helm's service manual says. I fixed the problem by erasing the SRS memory. now it seems just fine...

did Helm's manual save me a few hundred bucks? ;D
</font>
No, SRS service is free for the lifetime of the car.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock) 15.4 @ 91
Visit the Prelude FAQ| jmcn.com

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Dude I wouldn't drive that car.....I'd STILL get it checked out.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

Someone sell me their stock taillights

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Dude I wouldn't drive that car.....I'd STILL get it checked out.

</font>
I agree as well. Something happened to trigger that light and god forbid it triggers the airbag while your driving. That's nothing to mess with.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">No, SRS service is free for the lifetime of the car.</font>
You mean it's FREE to fix any problem i have?

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
You mean it's FREE to fix any problem i have?

</font>
I don't know about any problem but if something bad happened with an airbag it would look awful for Honda. Honda doesn't want that so I'm sure they would take care of that ASAP, same thing with seat belts. I bet if you had 100k on your car and the seatbelt looked wrong for whatever reason they would take care of it in fear of liability. Call your closest dealer and tell them what's going on and make it clear this is something your not going to pay for. I bet they tell you to bring it in right away.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But the SRS light is gone now, how should I talk to Honda?

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
But the SRS light is gone now, how should I talk to Honda?

</font>
I'd tell them what happened adn then what you did. You'll get the typical response...IF it comes back bring it in and we'll take care of it. I'd then give them a line **** about how you have children/elderly that come in the car regularly and that an airbag going off by accident could be a serious hazard. Tell them your afraid to use the car not knowing what the condition of the SRS system is and that they should look at this since it's a saftey feature. If they give you so much as an ounce of sh*t threaten to call a regional office about this since it's a VERY serious problem. They don't need any suits chewing their asses out so more then likely they'll help you out pretty quick if it gets to that point.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I GOT IT! I'll bring it to the dealer ASAP! Thanks for your help!

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
Registered
138 Posts
This happened to my 97 just recently. As from what I learned, the danger in this is that the airbags would NOT deploy in an accident, rather than deploy without warning. The light remained on for about 6 months. I kept going to different dealers to ask them to fix it, but each would ask for a substantial fee just to look into it. Finally I got a 60k mile service done, and convinced them to reset the sensor, to see if the light would come back. It hasn't since. (fingers crossed)

------------------
-97 Prelude SS N-M-Metallic-
and a couple little tricks

·
Registered
355 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This happened to my 97 just recently. As from what I learned, the danger in this is that the airbags would NOT deploy in an accident</font>
Yes, I've heard the same.

The SRS light in my '95 Civic came on when I jump-started it to revive a drained battery.

My local independent foreign auto shop was unable to reset it but the dealer was able to ... for an electrical diagnostic fee of $30. They told me that if there were any further troubles, they'd replace the ECM (Electronic Control Module) for $850!!

Fortunately, the reset they did has worked since Election Day.

--- Bror Jace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts