Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1996 prelude vtec and i get THE worst miles for a honda. i get about 20 miles per gallon...whats wrong with that? i dont even vtec or any race.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
twenty isnt too bad... Granted I get about that and I drive like a bat out of hell sometimes... Maybe you need to do a good tune up and a good fuel filter and gas system cleaning... It just sounds like what happens to older preludes which werent kept in tip top shape... Mines a 93 so I can say just fix some stuff up... Air filter is a big one... I went down to like 9 at one point in time on my jeep wrangler form oil coated air filter causeing bad air flow and poor mileage... Just make your pretty baby run good... P.S. I only average about 25.... Only 5 more miles per gallon... There not supposed to get that great of gas mileage either... Keep on top of it and get hihg flow air and all the other regular matinence straight and you will ride a little smoother...

·
It's a V6, right??
427 Posts
Yeah a basic tune up: plugs, wires, dist., rotor, air filter, etc. You might also want to check your PCV valve, actually just replace if you can't remember the last time, there're dirt cheap. Also, make sure your entire fuel system is good. Another idea, you said you don't race or hit VTEC all that often, that might be the problem. If you never go into VTEC, your going to start getting alot of carbon build-up. Don't be scared of VTEC, it's your friend.;)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
20mpg isnt bad. I average around 22 in mine. Preludes average between 20 and 27 depending on how much city and freeway driving you do, but I have never gotten close to 25

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
SlowSi said:
I've gotten 30 to the gallon with a dirty air filter coming back from Kentucky. :D
I get about 25+, and I think my ignition setup helped me a bit, but don't quote me on that.

J

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
i get 25 to the gallon, but about 160 of those miles are freeways min.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i live in san francisco and maybe thats why i get ****ty mileage on it. my cars a 1996 with about 103k miles. im putting in new rotor, cap, ngk spark plugs and ngk (blue) wires. im gonna also try to do the fuel filter. i didnt know the air filter can cause that much damage on gas mileage.
PS: distributor?

·
Registered
335 Posts
answer me a question. Do you have aftermarket rims on your car? If so, are they heavier than the stock rims?

If the answer is "yes", then that explains everything. I just discovered this recently after I put on the stock rim due to the bad rim. i got awesome gas mileage now.

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
JJLuDe said:
well i live in san francisco and maybe thats why i get ****ty mileage on it. my cars a 1996 with about 103k miles. im putting in new rotor, cap, ngk spark plugs and ngk (blue) wires. im gonna also try to do the fuel filter. i didnt know the air filter can cause that much damage on gas mileage.
PS: distributor?
If you're in the city, driving on the hills, that's the answer right there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
kinda off the subject but shouldnt take up too much space. i dont own a 4th gen but about to get one. VTEC. My question is how do you know when you hit VTEC? Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, I could just say, drive it and you'll know... but just to answer... simply. It gets louder, and you go faster. The engine note totally changes.

·
Registered
222 Posts
how many gallons can the 4th gens hold? man, i get horrible gas mileage on my 96 vtec... like 250 miles a full tank... maybe b/c i drive like a beast 24/7....i dunno, either that, or im due in for a major tune up
-james

1 - 17 of 17 Posts