Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is...I bought a 98 'Lude just recently, and I bought the car with and AEM short ram intake already installed. Now, not long ago I found a vacuum line just hanging in the bay. I traced the line back under the intake tube to the vacuum tank/intake control solenoid valve assembly (It's a little black plastic tank on the passenger side, under the intake tube between the battery and strut tower. It's got two vacuum lines and an electrical connector). I asked the Clovis, NM (I live in Wichita Falls now) Honda dealership LEAD MECHANIC where that line goes, and his response was since I didn't have the factory intake on the car I didn't need that vacuum line, or the assembly for that matter, and I could just rip out the tank and the vacuum lines, INCLUDING the one to the intake manifold. So I did just that, and plugged the port on the intake manifold. I was VERY stupid and threw it all away, figuring Mr. LEAD MECHANIC knew what he was talking about. Yeah right....so I have all of the crap on order from Honda, and I need to know where the vacuum lines go. I know one goes to the intake manifold, but the one I was originally wondering about...where does it go? So pictures, info anything would help A LOT. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That vac line and electical connector should got to the stock honda intake and resonator in the front bumper (passenger side). If you're running a Short ram intake or a Cold Air Intake, then you don't need either.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
grr... this thread should probably be locked for dupliucate threads. (I just saw the 1 in the 5th Gen forum)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xander said:
That vac line and electical connector should got to the stock honda intake and resonator in the front bumper (passenger side). If you're running a Short ram intake or a Cold Air Intake, then you don't need either.
No no, the electrical connector I know goes to the intake control solenoid/vacuum tank assmebly I removed...and I know one of the two lines goes to the intake manifold. I need to know where the OTHER vac line goes.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
I assume you're not referring to part number 8 in this diagram:

That controls the intake air bypass butterflies in the intake manifold.

If you're referring to parts 19 or 20 in this diagram:

Then no, you do not need them with an aftermarket intake. Just disconnect the electrical connectors, plug the vacuum lines at the manifold, and you'll be set.

If you could post pictures of what you're talking about, we'd be able to help you better.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Fr33duB said:
No no, the electrical connector I know goes to the intake control solenoid/vacuum tank assmebly I removed...and I know one of the two lines goes to the intake manifold. I need to know where the OTHER vac line goes.
Why? If it's the assembly I'm thinking of (19 and 20 in the second picture), just remove the entire assembly, vacuum lines and all. If I'm understanding you right, the other vacuum line goes to the resonator assembly in the bumper (#21 in the second picture).

The butterfly valve in the resonator is #6 here:

Again, if you have an aftermarket intake, you don't even need this stuff. You can remove the resonator assembly, vacuum lines, and all without any problems.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
71dsp said:
I assume you're not referring to part number 8 in this diagram:

That controls the intake air bypass butterflies in the intake manifold.

If you're referring to parts 19 or 20 in this diagram:

Then no, you do not need them with an aftermarket intake. Just disconnect the electrical connectors, plug the vacuum lines at the manifold, and you'll be set.

If you could post pictures of what you're talking about, we'd be able to help you better.

Okay, yes it's number's 19 and 20 in the second picture, the vacuum tank and intake control solenoid valve assembly. Thing is, I plugged the port on the intake manifold where the vacuum line goes, and my car runs like utter garbage. What's the deal?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
71dsp said:
Probably some other problem.
Can't be. Started running like crap as soon as I removed it all. If I plug the port on the intake manifold completely, the car dies, if I unplug it completely, the idle rhythmically alternates from 1000 to 1500 RPM. It was running just fine prior to me removing that stuff. I don't get it...

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Either it wasn't hooked up correctly prior to your changes, or you've done something wrong.

I've worked on many, many of these cars, and that system has NOTHING to do with idle control.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts