Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, little background first.
My car is leased and will be returned in 18 months (October 2002). I dont fell like spanding any money on it cause it is kind of pointless. LIke why did i put a CAI on it when i am goign to have to take it out and put back resonator/stock air box, etc.

Now i wasnt sure and actually doubted that my stock tires woudl make it 36000 miles. Now my passenger front tire was low for a WHILE and i never went to fill it. Well after getting my oil changed (and stopping at Acura dealership to look at TL Type S) i noticed it was real low and upon further investigation, a crack runs about 1/3 around the tire due to being so low and weight i guess. i filled it up so it looks normal. Now i am faced with decision.

Do I..
A.) buy one stock tire and replace?
B.) Buy 4 performance tires for the last 19,000 miles of my lease and put old stock ones on at end of term.
C.) Do nothing.

I want to keep costs low and one tire place quoted me at $164 for a stock tire. If i were to buy 4 performance tires, they woudl have to be an exact match (sizewise) to stock (205/50/16??)

Also, when i went to get oil changed at dealership, i told them to check air levels in my tires and they said it was fine, when they follow up call about servic, should i ***** them out and blame them?

Sorry for long post, but i need to ask. Thanks in advance.

------------------
[email protected]
99 Pearl SS
NJ Prelude Group
Worst Page Ever

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Well I it seems like yoru not banging turns at 70mph so I'd suggest jsut replacing the front two tires with something decent. The dealer could care less about what tires you have on your car when you turn it in as long as their not bald. You can probably get Dunlop W10's in the stock size for under a $100 each. I know some people have trashed the Kumho but those are very cheap and everyone agrees that they stick better then the OE rubber.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
You can run through a lot of rubber in 19k miles. It sounds like yours won't make it that far, so I'd suggest getting cheap rubber to replace them.

If you are really interested in saving cash, look for someone selling stock tires (that upgraded). I did this for my first 2 sets. The stock rubber isn't that great, but they're cheaper (used) than new- that will also allow you to safely keep any good rubber you still have on the car.

I recommend against running different tires up front, especially something like the W10's. You'd be surprised how badly your car will handle with mismatched rubber.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Buy one used from one of us. I don't have mine (bought the car used), but I am sure people on here have stock tires to get rid of for real cheap.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
wow, your car is leased, yet you painted it yellow? What did the dealer say about that?

Neel

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Tony,

Did you color your wheels yet? How did they turn out? It turns out the polished SSR Integrals have been discontinued. I still like the design of the wheels and think they look better than the OZ Super Leggera, IMHO of course.

Neel

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hey Neel,
Nope no colored wheels yet, i just got the phone number for a store that does it from g5luder last thurs, but my gf has been here since friday so that didn't get done
For crying out loud i didn't even do my bezels because my friend tried to do some work on his probe and when he was taking it out he broke it and ended up having to spend $300 on a new gauge cluster!

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
What did i tell you Tony, have confidence. The only thing I did was crack the clear shield a little, and being the perfectionist that I am, i bought a new shield for 20 bucks.

By the way, you wanna sell your wheels?

Neel

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hey you want SSR Integrals for sale? I got 4 of em!

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Sell the integrals, nah i couldn't do it, i love those rims!!! The enkeis are another story!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
FIX-A-FLAT, the cracked one, it will hold for the remainder of the lease. And don't drive too crazy. It will help if you rotate the rear tires to the front if they are in better condition. Did this to my Saturn when I traded it in for the Lude. What a horrible car that was.

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Getting back to the original topic....
You say you have 19k miles left to run? Then I would buy new tires for sure. Reason??
The tires are the only part of the car that is in contact with the road, therefore quality is of paramount importance to you and anyone else who rides in the car with you. Buy the best you can afford now,then if you need new tires when the lease is up, replace with cheaper alternatives to keep the cost down. Think about it......

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
i have a couple of used stockies sitting around, as well as a couple of nitto 450's. i keep them around for *just in case* situations... so if you want, lemme know, and i can give you one.
btw, the tires are at my friend's shop, so we'll have to go in and look for them.

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
.....so if you want, lemme know, and i can give you one.</font>

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
i have a couple of used stockies sitting around, as well as a couple of nitto 450's. i keep them around for *just in case* situations... so if you want, lemme know, and i can give you one.
btw, the tires are at my friend's shop, so we'll have to go in and look for them.
</font>
how many miles are on these stockies? Price?

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prelude Ed:
how many miles are on these stockies? Price? </font>
well.. the stockies have about 10k left on them. and the nitto's were only used for 10k. price? heck, they're just taking up space as of now. FREE!! don't worry bout it.

not just yet though, lemme go to the shop tomorrow to make sure that they're still there. i'll let you know ASAP.

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 16, 2001).]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts