Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...i thought i had everything wired correctly but it ain't working.

Outside: Jdm harness connected to each bulb w/orange wires on the left(looking at the car from the front toward the back).

Ground wire attached to center brace

Under Dash: Bullet connector orange wire connected to orange bullet connector.

Ground wire attached to a bolt holding the hood release.

Thick white wire w/brown plug connected to slot #5

2 red wires w/black stipe and brown connector connected to #2

According to the switch it should be working cuz the light on it illuminates when i press it when the key is in ignition turned to the first position and the parking lights are on.

Help! I know ppl have had problems w/the grounds but i scratched the paint off of the center brace b4 securing it.

If the answer is get a voltmeter...how would i check it? What would the voltmeter need to read at certain points?

Thanks!

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

G

·
Just double check the wiring, and make sure you get all of the paint off of the ground. I used a dremel with a wire wheel, and it worked perfectly.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Uh what about the bullet connector IN the bumper? You didn't mention that.</font>
I connected the bullet connetor in the bumper.

I'm asuming since the light in the switch is working i have inside done right?

So maybe it's the outside ground? When i get a voltmeter how would i check to see if power is getting to the outside bullet connector?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also...when i turn the switch on and off i can hear the relay ticking...further evidence that the inside is wired correctly?

------------------
2000 Type SH

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'd check the connections and especially the grounds again... when mine didn't light the first time it was because of the ground wires... scrape the paint off where it touches. Good luck!

------------------
Yum, VW GTIs for breakfast lunch and dinner...

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
Outside: Jdm harness connected to each bulb w/orange wires on the left(looking at the car from the front toward the back).
</font>

This may be your problem. Make sure the orange wire is on the inside(facing the center of the car) on both sides.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
What OTHER bullet conn. in the bumper? I ask cause im gonna try and put mine in tommorow.

[This message has been edited by 2kLuder (edited April 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
make sure the thing is grounded. you mite have to sand off a little of the material to get it grounded.

also, to check, get some wire and stuff and connect both wires to 1 power source. that will tell you if things are working.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pure Lude:
also, to check, get some wire and stuff and connect both wires to 1 power source. that will tell you if things are working.</font>

Wha? Which wires?

I read in THATPRELUDEGUYS write up that the orange wires in the front go on the left of each bulb. I'll go try the orange wires on the inside.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yeah, if your light on the fog switch is working, then all the inside is hooked up correctly.

It is more than likely 1 of 2 things- you either don't have a good ground(most likely the case) or you connected the outside, in bumper wire harness BACKWARDS. It will fit both ways, so try switching it 180 and rehooking everything up.

If you do BOTH of these and nothing happens, take them off or hook the ground section of the exterior wire section to a power source(like a battery) WHILE the fogs are still connected, to see if it lights up. If the bulbs work, then they should light up. If THIS doesn't work, then you may need to switch bulbs(but since yours are new I doubt this is the problem). It is otherwise a pretty straightforward install, especially the inside part.

Hey 2KLuder, when you try to get the inside council out(where cruise, dim are), it feels like your breaking it. Cover your thin, long, flathead screwdriver up with a thin cloth or a few paper towels, and stick it in the top to push it out. There are like 4 clips, 2 on each side of it holding it in place. They will most likely POP when disconnected from bracket, and they might even come off. No biggie, just put them back on. Good luck- it is a fun install IMO.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok...I connected the fogs so that the orange wires are on the inside...didn't work.

I don't think the exterior wiring harness can be backwards cuz then it wouldn't reach.

It's not my bulbs cuz they are new.

Uhhh...how do i use a multimeter to check whether there is electricity going through?

God this is frustrating.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Hey if I got that wrong about what sides the wires go to on the fogs let me know so I can change it. I'll be re-doing some of that stuff (web pages) in the next month so I'd like to know if there's any mistakes.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Hey guys, whats the best way to aim these beasts?? I was jsut thinkin to make sure both ends of the aiming screw are protruding the same, will that work. Thanks.

·
User Account Disabled
5,736 Posts
ok man-sorry to hear your frustration. If you can't figure out anything else, use the lower bolt on your hood latch mechanism as the ground connection. You'll have to remove the plastic cover around the hood latch and remove the lower bolt with your 10mm socket. This area definitely provides a good ground connection.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What I meant on the "180 degrees" for the exterior wire is, that when you hook up the harness(plug in the bullet) you are left with a ground connection and 2 "foglight connections". Well, you can twist the harness and flip-flop it so that either foglight can be hooked up by either connector. Here's what I mean, in step #7...

4. Take out the exterior wire harness and run it down the inside of the bumper. Make sure the orange connector is on the drivers side.

5. Connect the orange connector from the harness, to the orange connector that is sitting behind the signal light(make sure this
connection is securily connected!!). There will be one orange wire hidden, and its wrapped with black tape. Find this wire. Its going to be somewhere in the back. Just look where the turn signals where, and you will find it.

6. After you connect the orange connectors, take out the gold ground bolt. Look towards the center of the car. Go all the way down, where the empty opening is in the bumper(behind the license plate). You will see the radiator, and in front of that there will be two holes on the frame(above the two holes, there will be one bolt already used by . Put the ground bolt through the ground connector on the harness(black wire), and then bolt down the bolt to the bottom hole. (Here is where the multimeter would come in handy. You can check if you have good ground connection)

7. Now get out your JDM foglights. Connect the harness to the JDM lights. The connector goes on both ways, so make sure its correct. The orange wire of the harness should point towards the center of the car. So if you looking at the drivers side foglight, the orange wire should point towards the left. And for the passenger side foglight, the orange wire should point towards the right.

If this is done correctly, and they still don't work, it can be only 1 of 3 things- bad ground, bad bulbs, fogs are broke POS's. Good luck!

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK i went checking w/the multimeter...and i found that it was the ground on the center brace. There's like a coat of black paint then a coat of white paint....u gotta grind that shiet off...Thanks for all ur help guys...i just gotta get some bolts to bolt these sucka down.

------------------
2000 Type SH

New JDM H3C bulbs $50

1 - 20 of 29 Posts