Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've yet to hear back from the insurance company about my wrecked lude and I'm getting inpacient. I would like to know whether it's totalled so I can look for a new car.

Anyone who knows about damage repairs, please tell me if you think it's totalled.

Here's what I could see to be damaged when it was being towed.

-Car wouldn't start and had no power.
-car was in SS mode and on cruise during crash
-Front tire came off rim and shredded
-Must have damaged rim
-Bent front drivers fender
-smashed rear panel by fuel door pretty badly
-bent trunk on the corner
-trunk was open and wouldn't close obviously
-busted headlights out, but not cracked from what I could see
-busted drivers taillight
-bent that metal tube under the tails that the rear bumper attaches to
-ripped off front bumper
-desintagrated sideskirt
-shatterd rear bumper into 4 peices
-scratches on roof from the trees branches

This is just the damage I could see and remember from that night, I haven't seen my car since the accident.

Other possible damage I could think of:
-might have damaged exhaust and header.
-probably damaged suspension from the 75mph sideways slide :(
-probably damaged other tires
-guy at the shop said my tranny looked like it might be leaking fluid.
-my drivers door was hard to close
-might be from the damaged door sill :shrug:
-also they winched my car onto the truck while it was in park, would that cause any tranny damage?

The guy at the shop said it looked to be 9g's in damage and he hadn't lifted it up yet. But my insurace hasn't looked at it yet, so I'm getting nervous.

I think that it would be totalled, but I would like some oppinions.

Thanks in advance,
-Skinny

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
One piece of advise is wait until you have final work from the ins. company before buying a new car. If they somehow can fix it and you have already bought a new car you will SOL with two loans. I would be calling the ins. company every day and bugging the crap outta them to light a fire under them.

Good luck,

·
old dog w/new tricks
1,586 Posts
Sounds worse than the total I bought for my donor vehicle, but it is up to the insurance company. Make sure you demand that they use OEM parts!! That alone might make the difference, and yes, you can let them know you will not settle for less. They cannot focer garbage parts on you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ i have a full body kit so would they replace oem or aftermarket?

·
Registered
532 Posts
From my experience a bent frame usually means its totaled....even if it isnt you dont want a car thats been through that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What insurance are you with? You need to call the person handling the claim everyday until you get answers. And if that person doesn't reply you ask for their boss. FYI, I totalled my car in mid-march, I didn't have a check in my hands until end of may. I'm with Progressive.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
My insurance company considered a car totalled when damages equalled 75% or greater of the car's value. In my case, that damages did not so it wasn't totalled, but like everyone said, get on your insurance agent's ass.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Sounds like its toast from ur description as well as the shop guy's initial assessment. Did ur airbags pop? If so, then more than likely its done for since the cost of replacing airbags is ~$3-4k.

But like others said, WAIT for the ins. assessment and final word b4 looking for another car.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it's totalled :( :)

I was happy that it was totalled, but I'm sad cause I had that car for three years. Lots of good times and memories :(

My damages were over $10,000. I'm still not sure how much I'm gonna get for the total yet.

The guy at the shop told me he had to bring my car inside because it was drawing too much attention and lots of people were asking about it. It sucks too think of my car being picked apart by vulturs :(

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Two-Five Boy said:
But like others said, WAIT for the ins. assessment and final word b4 looking for another car.
damn.. sucks. another lude bites the dust...

when my friend had his totalled lude parked in front of his dad's warehouse, several people would stop by each day asking if they could have some parts off of it.

Preludes = vulture magnets

1 - 11 of 11 Posts