autometer 2 1/16" ultralite</font>
electric or mechanical????

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Okay, before you try installing one of these things, you really need a Helm's manual. It will show you where you can tap for +12V, and +12V switched. You need to find a place for the sending unit. There is a good spot (for mechanical at least, I don't know about electric) at the radiator hose fitting on the head. There's a blank spot that is just about perfect. Then run the wiring to the gauge, through the firewall. Mount the gauge, wire in +12, the sending unit, and +12 switched for the backlight. Then you're set.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do i have to drill anything for the sender? oh yeah, when they say engine ground, does that mean ground it on the engine?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
do i have to drill anything for the sender? oh yeah, when they say engine ground, does that mean ground it on the engine?</font>
Yeah, you have to drill and tap a hole for the sending unit somewhere in the coolant passages. Ground means battery negative, the body, or engine ground. It really doesn't matter.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

G

·
sorry, i'm kind of a novice when it comes to electrical stuff</font>
What about mechanical stuff? I suggest you find some experienced help to give you a hand.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
What about mechanical stuff? I suggest you find some experienced help to give you a hand.

</font>
mechanical stuff is no problem, i do all the mechanical work on my car myself. i've installed all my mods, i changed my timing belt and do my own valve adjustments and stuff, and i can do some body work (i installed my rs kit myself). might not sound like too much but i'm proud of what i've done and what i've learned, and i'm young too (i turned 18 last friday). i've never really played around with electrical stuff though, i know it's relatively easy, i'm just not as knowledgeable about it.

[This message has been edited by ahcjar103 (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to find a place for the sending unit. There is a good spot (for mechanical at least, I don't know about electric) at the radiator hose fitting on the head. There's a blank spot that is just about perfect.

</font>
are you talking about this spot?

the silver part that the upper radiator hose is connected to on the left? if this is, should i be worried about that other line coming into the side of it?

(veetec's car btw)

[This message has been edited by ahcjar103 (edited April 26, 2001).]

G

·
Do you have a 4Gen? The 5Gen's don't have a sensor there, that's why it's just about perfect. If you have a 4Gen, you will have to find another spot.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have a 4Gen? The 5Gen's don't have a sensor there, that's why it's just about perfect. If you have a 4Gen, you will have to find another spot.

</font>
yes i have a 4th gen. that sensor there is for the cooling fans. would it still be not ok? some people i talked to thought it would be ok if i did it on the other side and closer to where the hose connects to the neck. the 3/8" fitting would go fine there, size wise. what do you think?

G

·
yes i have a 4th gen. that sensor there is for the cooling fans. would it still be not ok? some people i talked to thought it would be ok if i did it on the other side and closer to where the hose connects to the neck. the 3/8" fitting would go fine there, size wise. what do you think?

</font>
Depends on the size of the sensor for the sending unit and how much room you have in there. Sorry, I can't really answer your question without looking at it.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends on the size of the sensor for the sending unit and how much room you have in there. Sorry, I can't really answer your question without looking at it.

</font>
ok thanks. i think i can do it so there's a reasonable distance between the two sensors. i'm just wondering if they would interfere with each other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts