Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a MSD Blaster Coil on a 97+ Prelude? Can anyone please help me out? I just changed my plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. I also bought an MSD SCI ignition with a Blaster Coil. The SCI seems pretty straight forward, but how do you hook up the blaster coil. The stock external coil has a wire harness with 3 wires connected. Two thick wires(yellow wire, black wire) and one thin wire(white wire). Which wire do I splice and what are they for? Much help appreciated, thanks...

·
0_0
623 Posts
Hey astro....make sure that you mount your blaster coil in an upright position. I heard it was oil based and can't be mounted sideways/angled..etc...or else it may fail and burn out.

·
Registered
697 Posts
don't mount the coil in the location where the stock coil used to, it will overheat the blaster coil. I burnt 2 of them. I've changed to SS coil now, i mounted it to the side of the battery, much better and cooler now. ;D

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
AstroNut.
What kind of mods do you have to warrent an MSD Blaster Coil? Just wondering.

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by typeshlude:
Hey astro....make sure that you mount your blaster coil in an upright position. I heard it was oil based and can't be mounted sideways/angled..etc...or else it may fail and burn out. </font>
Listen to this guy. I have seen what happens when a shop full installs an oil based coil sideways.

I'll put it this way, the poor guy had to pull over to the side of the road and throw DIRT onto the engine to put the fire out.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

How long will my registration last this time?????

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Very important to mount it upright, unless you are using the High Vibration coil. That is the only coil of that design that can be mounted sideways. You can mount it in the same spot as the stock coil. I have had mine there for about 15K miles with zero problems. Just make sure that it is upright, to prevent destroying the coil or possibly cathcing your car on fire.

·
Super Moderator
3,007 Posts
Is this a good mod if you haven't done anything crazy to your car? (Air intake, headers, pulleys, exhaust..) What is the benefits?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
So what kind of ignition should I get if I want a new coil, ignition controller, for my Nitrous on the 5th gen? I would like to be able to retard 1-2 degrees or so when the Nitrous is on.

------------------
Malken00
[email protected]
www.streetimage.net

FOR SALE

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
You're running nitrous? I didn't know that

I don't know what's best to use with nitrous, or if there's different requirements for use with nitrous. I'd email a nitrous user
Or check the MSD website.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Malken00: I would order either an MSD 6A or SCI (same thing, just different colors) and whichever blaster coil you like. I personally have the SCI and Blaster SS coil. The Blaster SS can be mounted in any direction and is a great choice. With the ignition, purchase the timing retard unit. This will give you control of the timing using a knob mounted in the passenger compartment (prefferably near your NOS switch). When you want to spray, retard the timing and you're set to go. This combo works great as is fairly inexpensive. Also if you want a rev limiter, you could purchase a 6AL or SCI-L ignition.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
327 Posts
Oh... in addition... You might want to get new ignition wires. The MSD coils have different connectors than the stock ones. The 8.5mm Magnecor wires I purchased worked quite well. If you need any help installing or setting any of this up, IM or email me. Again I would recommend the SS coil!

Daniel

grnlude97

IM: SuavericoG

·
Registered
327 Posts
Here's a pic for you...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
andrewdelvard: I have Mugen exhaust/headers/ aem intake, pullies, APEXi V-AFC, MSD wires, ngk plugs, and MSD sci w/blaster coil.

malken00: For NITROUS, i would recommend the MSD Digital-6 Plus. This unit saves space so you don't have to get an MSD6AL or SCI with an adj. timing controller. It has a 2-step rev limiter(nice for launching-just mash the pedal and concentrate on the tree).
Single stage retard- this feature is nice, it automatically retards timing when your nitrous activates. All these features can be set with rotary dials(100rpm incriments) that are already built into the unit itself. If you add everything up, it cost almost as much as an MSD6A or SCI with timing controllers, but less space.

Need all your opinions...
Do you guys think JUN cams are worth the money?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright guys, I hooked up the SCI with the Blaster coil and according to the diagram referred to me by "Ludakris_SH Look here.
http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-ignition/fifth-ignition.shtml ". Everything is all done and hooked up. My car started fine the first 5 seconds and then it started to hesitate until it stalled. Tried re-starting but it wouldn't start again. I'm not sure if it's the wiring or if there is something wrong with the unit itself. Can somebody verify where to splice the thin RED and the thin WHITE from the SCI unit to the coil wire harness? I know that the MSD 6AL required splicing the RED wire, is this true with the SCI?!?

[This message has been edited by AstroNut (edited April 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AstroNut:
andrewdelvard: I have Mugen exhaust/headers/ aem intake, pullies, APEXi V-AFC, MSD wires, ngk plugs, and MSD sci w/blaster coil.

</font>
Pretty much the same as me.Mmmm interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts