Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic told me today that the lines won't fit on the front because the spindle thing on the end is too thick to fit into the clamp on the caliper. He said the rear would have fit on the front, but they weren't long enough. I don't really know anything myself about this, so I was wondering whether I got the wrong kit sent to me, or whether they need some instruction from one of you guys as to how to attach them, or what the heck is wrong.

I'm taking it back tomorrow morning because the pedal has too much play in it--it feels dead for the first couple inches. He said he'll try rebleeding the lines to try to firm up the pedal. So it would be great if I knew what the problem is by then. Is it possible I was sent a Prelude base kit or a 4th gen kit? The package had a sticker that said Prelude SH on it though.

Help!

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

G

·
I thought Goodridge would have fixed that by now. On David's car, we had to cut the fitting tabs off of the caliper to get the fittings to fit. You will probably have to do the same thing.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the reply!

Could you elaborate a little?
Here's a pic for reference:

The front ones are on the bottom. The piece that's in the way is on the left--its that hex thing that's attached to the metal line right before the eye hole. So you cut a piece of the caliper? How'd you cut it? (Tell me what to tell the mechanics to do.)

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

[This message has been edited by jmcn (edited April 13, 2001).]

G

·
There are two small tabs on the caliper that hold the line in place. They really aren't all that necessary, so you just cut them off to make room for the fittings. We used a dremel tool to cut them.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
71dsp, or anyone, how do I get a hold of Goodridge? I can't seem to find their web site, and the mechanic didn't give me back the box that the SS lines came in. I don't want to mess with my brake calipers, so I'm going to try to see if they'll send me front lines that will fit properly without modification.

Secondly, the mechanic rebleed my brakes this morning, and it feels pretty much the same. The first bit of the brake pedal feels pretty numb--no grab. The pedal feels different--in a bad way. My mechanic said this might be due to the new rear lines being a smaller diameter (is that even true?). He also said it could have been what is supposed to happen with the lines. Just to clarify I have stock everything (including fluid) except Goodridge braided stainless steel brake lines on the rear brakes.

I thought the rear brakes didn't do very much. Why should the pedal feel so sloppy then? Is it because the car's mismatched with SS lines and stock (rubber?) lines? Or what?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

G

·
If I am not mistaken, Goodridge is an English company, so they won't have a US website. I have never been able to find a corporate website for them.

You probably need to bleed the brakes even more.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Man I hope that doesn't happen with mine but in any case it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. A little dremeling never hurt anyone.

·
The Cheeze
1,704 Posts
So, what do the non-sh lines look like? will they work with the sh then. What exactly is the claimed difference between the sh and base ss lines and/or sh calipers and base calipers. And ya, this is bull****. Why sell lines specific for a model type, that dont even work without fn with your calipers. Teh ***.

·
Zoom-Zoomin
1,461 Posts
If you'll notice this thread is very old. I had no problems with my Goodridge SS brake lines that I installed 2 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts