Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was at 4th gear and i downshifted to 2nd gear and after a couple secs i accidently went past the redline (7500) and was at about 8000 and thats when the car stopped accelerating and thats when i noticed it was way past redline. I was on the freeway and everything was fine all the way home. I'm just wondering is there a chance of anything being wrong? The transmission or engine? The thing is, the car made it home, but is there a chance that the pistons or gaskets or anything can be wrong? I heard that it couldve caused the valves to float, and ruined the pistons? But the thing is i made it home without noticing any problems? Please Help.
Also
I'm also wondering, if something went bad, would i have noticed it right away? or would i find out the problem tommorow or the day after instead?

Sorry, i was and still new at driving Manual, since nobody taught me how to drive it, i had to burn through one clutch in order to learn on my own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bonus Question?
Is it bad to skip gears, even though the car is reving below redline? For example, I'm at 5th gear (2500rpm, and i downshift to 3rd but it's only at (4000rpm) (Redline is 7500btw) is that okay? or do i have to double shift, and go to fourth first than third? And how about vice versa, shifting up?
I heard that it only put excessive wear on the clutch? Someone else told me it can ruin a transmission? I've been skipping gears for 7 months now, but remember, nobody taught me how to drive a stick..=/ I hate learning things on my own, i wish there was a professional or a school to learn from!

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Going past redline is ok if the engine is in good shape. The tachometer is off by a bit so 8k is more like 7.8k.

I shift at 8k when trying to be as fast as possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for answering, now i can finally sleep with less "guilt". Tommorow morning i will look for any leaks or anything before going to work, "15-30mins drive on freeway" =) I'm just paranoid and don't want to ask my dad and get *****ed at. He owns a carshop right next door to where i live. The first thing he will ***** about is, why would i be over 3000rpm in the first place, because he doesn't believe in fast cars, and he doesnt like modded cars. And second, he's not going to help me. I had to do the master Cylinder and Slave Cylinder by myself with no help from anybody, or anything (including books instruction etc) My dad is old school (thomas edison), he believes cars are a commmon sense thing and believes that everything is like a toy that can be taken apart and put together so he doesn't like to help me and make me do things on my freaking own. (The reason why i had to learn how to drive stick by myself, he said just go in balance the clutch and feel the car, WTF?, the first time i drove my car, i was Hopping on the street because i was letting go of the clutch fast, and i was always burning clutch because i never pushed it all the way into gear, but there was nobody to teach me that, but i know that now, i only learned it recently after burning my first clutch (driving on a hill without pushing it into gear all the way) Anyways, Is there anybody else that can answer my questions? I want all my questiosn answered. =(

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was at 4th gear and i downshifted to 2nd gear and after a couple secs i accidently went past the redline (7500) and was at about 8000 and thats when the car stopped accelerating and thats when i noticed it was way past redline. I was on the freeway and everything was fine all the way home. I'm just wondering is there a chance of anything being wrong? The transmission or engine? The thing is, the car made it home, but is there a chance that the pistons or gaskets or anything can be wrong? I heard that it couldve caused the valves to float, and ruined the pistons? But the thing is i made it home without noticing any problems? Please Help.
Also
I'm also wondering, if something went bad, would i have noticed it right away? or would i find out the problem tommorow or the day after instead?

Sorry, i was and still new at driving Manual, since nobody taught me how to drive it, i had to burn through one clutch in order to learn on my own.
If you did any major damage you would know and you could most likely hear it. bent valves make the car run like crap and you'll hear a loud repeatitive tinking sound. You should never skip a gear unless you are done with a pull, lets say 2nd gear hit vtec and hold it till 7k then shift. If you don't want to hit vtec shift from 2nd to 4th. But normally don't skip gears especially down shifting.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
i agree with them. i think you're ok. you probably bounced off the limiter a few

i miss-shift up sometimes, forget what gear or i'm busy staring at something. no harm no foul it seems. miss-shift down is a big no no. always be careful downshifting

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dammit, i always thought it was okay to skip a gear downshifting as long as i dont redline, but your answers seem like its bad to do so? (talking to storm__rider referring to my second post in this topic, the Bonus question one) Anyways i made a forum many weeks ago about my vtec, and after seating in a couple of other preludes, i can finally make the assumption that my vtec is not working for reals, im going to change to vtec solenoid gasket first, because i hear that it's a common problem that happens. and storm said its bad skippin gears downshiftin how about going up? I don't consider a mishift because it the car just runs perfectly normal and it's as if i made the high rpm on the lower gear like for example, second gear, match up the 4th gear to make it the right rpm on the fouth if you get what i mean? Well if you guys are lost than i understand, its something i cant really put into words. I feel like i have to show you instead.=( And it seems like nobody wants to answer because im asking newbie stuff..lol

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
yeah that's perfectly fine kilakalivietboi. sorry i over generalized. miss shift could be just missing the gear you wanted technically, or it could be used to describe a downshift that resulted in you messing up your block. multiple meanings.

from what i could make out, what you said and understand is correct. as long as you don't surpass the redline (be it true or indicated) you should be ok most the time. really depends on your overall engine and transmission condition and maybe luck.

i understood most of what you were saying. good luck fixing the vtec

1 - 8 of 8 Posts