Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread I reference some odd symptoms I've been having.

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118361

On the way home today I started my car and proceeded to try to leave the parking lot.

Unforutnately, my engine started cutting out.

I guess you could say that I've got rough idle, but it would be more accurate to say I've got no idle.

The other day the car did throw a Code 61, Primary O2 sensor slow to respond... but I replaced the O2 sensor. (With an NTK)

Any thoughts would be really helpful.

Gerhard

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
Mine did the same thing today, but no code. So far I've done:

New cap
New rotor
compression test, good numbers. small deviation, ~215
Valve Adjustment
Clean the IAC
Clean the TB
new plugs and wires
ECU reset
New timing belt and tensioner

All to no avail, none of them really made a difference. tomorrow the EGR is getting cleaned.

I've still got great power over probably 1500-2000 RPM, and it seems to idle a little low but not much. it's just REALLY rough.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah... I'm really confused myself.

I've not checked everything that you have... but I'd assume that all of that would return a code.

Gerhard

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
sharkcohen said:
Fuel pump? Are you getting spark? Idle air control valve? Is the throttle cable properly adjusted? Map sensor? Bad crankshaft position sensor?
Pump's good. Yes, checked spark. Just cleaned the valve. Just checked the cable, hits the stop a WOT and there's teh proper amount of slack at idle.

Got a page in the helm or a procedure to check the map and crank position?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I feel sorry for you Gerhard, you just can't seem to get that Lude running properly. If it's not one thing, it's another.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fmshaw1971 said:
I feel sorry for you Gerhard, you just can't seem to get that Lude running properly. If it's not one thing, it's another.
Dude... it's just friggen annoying at this point.

Prelude's are supposed to be great cars.

Gerhard

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
hey Shark, didn't you get one that was palm based? Got any info on that? Prices and what not? Do they offer a trial period or anything? I'd love to see what was going on with mine as well, I've got the palm already, this seems like a viable option.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sharkcohen said:
Gerhard, the MAP sensor can give problems without throwing a code. I don't know how much more you want to invest into the car, but an OBDII datalogger would help you narrow down or rule out various possibilities if you want to continue troubleshooting the problem on your own.
I actually have one.... what would I be looking for to troubleshoot the MAP sensor??

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
7,134 Posts
You could monitor the MAP and all the data of the other sensors to see if any of the voltages are out of spec (specifications are in ch 11 of the Helm). If all of those pan out ok, it is possible that your problem is with either the crankshaft position sensor, the TDC sensor, or the cylinder position sensor, all of which would affect ignition timing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts