Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just switched my tranny fluid to redline mtl. Everything went fine, except at the end the fluid starting overflowing through the fill hole as if the transmission were full. I know it takes 2 quarts though and I didn't add that much. Anyone know what happened?

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverLudeSi:
I just switched my tranny fluid to redline mtl. Everything went fine, except at the end the fluid starting overflowing through the fill hole as if the transmission were full. I know it takes 2 quarts though and I didn't add that much. Anyone know what happened?</font>
Well, when you drain, just as with motor oil, not all 2 quarts come out. You got a good 1/3quart to 1/2quart in there after you drain. So your tranny's got enough when it overflows like that. Just make sure it's level.

What I do is tilt the passenger side up a lil higher when I fill up then let the excess overflow as I level the car with my jack. This way, the overflow is more controlled.

By the way, what kinda funnel did you use? I've been using that one tube type that screws on top of oil bottles. Works ok but not that good.

Having said that, when your car is perfectly level, taht fill hole starts to overflow when

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey i just used one of those funnels with the tube on the end. It sucked though cause my CAI gets in the way and the tube barely reaches long enough. I had to pinch the tube open under the car to keep the oil flowing.

I hope there is enough oil in there cause I had the front of the car jacked up higher than the rear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
SilverLudeSi, you might want to leave that top bolt off for a few minutes and let any excess drain out (while the car is level is best). The tranny should be filled just up to that point.

Yeah, there's bound to be some old oil left in there after a change so don't be surprised if you cannot put in EXACTLY the amount specified.

MTL is good stuff, let us know if you think the shifter feels any better. Once in a while I run into some doubter that thinks the stuff is snake oil just because his Chrysler or some other P.O.S. doesn't seem to like it.

--- Bror Jace

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, I did put the fill bolt on while some fluid was still coming out, just a little though. Maybe tomorrow i will remove that bolt and let it all drain. It does seem a bit smoother. I had arpoblem shifting into 4th gear at high rpm's and I was told redline mtl might help. Haven't tried redlining it yet, I will keep you guys posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts