Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car is running hot, it only happens when im not moving. if i get stuck in traffic the temperature shoots up halfway between normal and hot, sometimes higher, but as soon as i start moving it drops back to normal. could it be my cooling fan isnt working? or a bad water pump? the coolant has been flushed and bled properly, so no air pockets in the sytem

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
try cleaning your radiator fins, or make sure there is nothing blocking it. Actually, make sure your radiator fans turn on properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the fins are clean, nothing blocking it. im just worried cause its only gonna get hotter here, and when it gets hot and humid in the south my car is gonna fry!

·
EEEWOK!!!!!
1,246 Posts
Slow_h22 said:
could it be my cooling fan isnt working?
I had the same exact symptoms and my secondary fan wasn't going into high mode when I turned on the A/C. One of my tempature sensors was disconnected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the car is sitting in the driveway running right now. the a/c fan is running fine. i wrecked the car last summer, and noticed the problem shortly after. they might not have hooked the fan up cause i know they screwed up the hood-latch alarm. i have a plug right by the hoodlatch, and nowhere to plug it. i searched everywhere for another plug to join it with and had no luck. any ideas? btw its the factory alarm...

·
Registered
92 Posts
when you turn on your ac your fans should turn on. If you like to check more directly you can get two speaker wires and use the battery and the fan wires to jump start. should turn on if not change it. There are other components that you would have to investigate if solution not fixed. Check water pump, thermostat

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thermostat or fan are my guess

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Not the thermostat. Since it cools when you move, it is an air through the rad problem. Your fan is not working properly IMO. I think y_b_lamron has it right. Your fan is not kicking into high which is why it doesn't redline hot. If it didn't work at all, you would go higher. Take it back to the shop you had your car fixed and have them do it right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Re: HELP! car running hot.

y_b_lamron said:

I had the same exact symptoms and my secondary fan wasn't going into high mode when I turned on the A/C. One of my tempature sensors was disconnected.
Hey I have the same problem. Where is the sensor located?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: Re: HELP! car running hot.

y_b_lamron said:

This happened to me as well. Replaced the fan and all's good again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts