Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to take of my passenger side axle today since there was a fluid leak. I suspected i damaged my oil seal from taking it off before, but i found the seal was fine...

Now here's the problem. After i removed the axle, i found a circular spring (like a ring, but made of a coiled spring) obstructing the hole in the tranny. The spring apprears to fit behind the oil seal and over a part of the differential.

This spring was causing my fluid leak since it was squished, preventing the axle to seal properly. What i need to know it WTH that spring is, what it does, its importance...etc etc. Basically anything would help.

I searched through the helms, but no luck. They talk about the oil seal and the differential, but nothing in regards to what that spring is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
i think you are talking about the snap ring that its a c-clip that you should replace everytime you remove an axle it goes on the inboard side

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, its not the c-clip on the splines of the axle. The piece i'm talking about is not part of the axle, its part of the transmission.

This is an actual spring (like the springs in a ball point click pen, but more compressed and in a circular form). And it will fit right behind the axle oil seal.

·
It's a V6, right??
427 Posts
Just in case you never got an answer, it's the spring that holds tension on the driveshaft oil seal. It comes installed on the oil seal itself, look at a new one you'll see it.

·
0_0
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sonic_Fury :bow: I had given up trying to figure out what it was and just said forget it. Since then there has been a very very very slow leak coming from the seal.

Do you have any idea of how involved the replacement of the oil seal would be???

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
As sonic said: The spring is a tension spring that is normally located around the inside of the seal.

The seals are about 7.00 each.

It comes out REALLY easily.

All you do is pull the old seal out gently (they come out with ease), and use a socket the size of the seal to push the new on in with.

That's it.

However, when you insert the shaft (axle) this time... do it carefully and perfectly straight.

The way you will not push out the spring.

This could have been MUCH worse... as if the spring gets into the transaxle, then you'll end up with crunched up metal in the trans... and that's bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts